Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Shortness of Breath after working out

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
I am 21 years of age, I have been working out for the last 2 years, with emphasis on Avid bodybuilding & cardiovascular fitness. I don't have any history of heart disease, cancer, or disabling diseases in my family.

Recently, I increased my intensity level in the gym, mainly doing 2 muscle groups /day, complimenting each set of weights with pushups/pullups, to keep the intensity level up. At the time of working out, I was feeling great, my adrenaline, testosterone keeping the exercises very vigorous. My diet is spotless, and I follow it very routinely/strictly.

The problem: I started feeling short of breath, not during my exercise, but almost the day later. I get a feeling of constantly wanting to yawn to get a deep satisfying breath (which have become rare). I also feel as though someone is strangling me, in general my trachea feeling "constricted". I do have some post-nasal drip, which made me think that it could be a viral infection, or just a simple cold, but why the shortness of breath? I also woke up last night with my heart rate skyrocketing at 100 BPM; normally my resting heart rate is 55 BPM. My blood oxygen saturation is normal at 98-99%. What could be the problem here? I have come across many forums regarding this issue, and most people have said they got an EKG, chest x-ray, and have ruled out many of the cardiovascular issues.

I am scheduled to seeing a doctor, but I thought if anyone can answer this, I may be able to do something about it, prior to seeing the doctor. I am currently not on any medication, and live a very healthy lifestyle (no smoking, no alcohol/drugs). sometimes I get that out of breath feeling even while talking, or simply from standing around, or sitting. It's quite spontaneous. Again, I did increase my intensity for a few days at the gym, but could this be the cause, of why I'm feeling short of breath even 24-48 hours later?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 26th, 2011
Same problem here for almost two years now. My doctors didn't find anything, did yours?
|

replied August 11th, 2012
Same thing happened to me they are still running tests but cant find anything did any one get a diagnosis for this?
|

replied August 11th, 2012
Same thing happened to me they are still running tests but cant find anything did any one get a diagnosis for this?
|

replied August 11th, 2013
Out of Breath after excerise
Wow, I have the exact same. I'm a cyclist and ride 80k plus rides every week. I nearly fell of a ladder a day later because I climbed up too fast and was out of breath.
|

replied November 14th, 2013
Same problem here for almost eitht months. At the time of working out I fell short of breath and this is happening from last eitht months, but I've started doing exercise from 1998. But recently I've started doing exercice in A/C Gym not sure if this might be a problem. Now while running on a treadmiller for 10-15 minuites I fell short of breathe. Its more worst after the workout even 24-48 hours later
|