Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Short breaths - severe pain in right lung and ribs

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
i have severe pain in my right lung and ribs,i can only manage short breaths and i also have pain in my chest.i cannot lay down in bed and must be upright at all times,the pain is also going around my back and its getting worse from today.cant sleap or eat and very breathless.i have asthma and smoke 60 per day,until now im so breathless i cant smoke due to breathlessness and pain.im on 8 prednisolone tabs for 8 days and klaricid 500mg 2 per day.im on my 4rth day and fell worse,my lower front ribs on left side are now painful,and its painful when i cough and hard to talk.im exahsted and cant even sit back due to lung pain.im afraid and dont know what to do now,my gp said to go back after tablets are finished.my voice is very horse and throat also painful.should i go back to my gp as my temp is very high and i feel so wresteless.also taking paracetamol/codene 30mg.thanks for any advice.my eyes are burning and iv had a headache for about 6days,this is unusual as i never take haedaches

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2010
Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Answer A12718
Hi, thanks for using the ehealth forum for your query.
You seem concerned by the pain in chest going around your back along with breathlessness. You are a known asthmatic for last 26 years and now taking prednisolone and ventorlin inhaler.Being a heavy smoker just adds to your woes. You are now taking clarithromycin and paracetamol for fever and cough.
As your condition is deteriorating, it is pertinent to consult your doctor again who may like to re evaluate you with a chest x ray for the possibility of respiratory failure and compromise due to chest infection. You may need respiratory support and oxygen therapy if saturation starts falling and respiratory fatigue occurs. If the bronchopneumonia is severe, you might need parenteral antibiotics along with intensive monitoring. You might need nebulisation as well if there is spasm in the chest.
All this can be evaluated by your personal physician on thorough examination and the same cannot be ascertained online.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.