Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Shock feeling when almost asleep (Page 1)

If I am trying to take a nap, or while I'm lying down before actually falling asleep, once in a while I will hear this quick buzzing in my ears, see this rush of white light zoom into view (with eyes closed (like in a dream state) ) and then feel an electrical impulse or shock and it brings me back to total consciousness. [All of these things occur simultaneously and within one second]. With my eyes open now I feel perfectly fine, although it is very startling I am fully aware of what had just occurred. Its not like when someone is dreaming and falling within a dream and just before they hit something they'll get a jolt, and wake. I haven't yet fallen asleep. After this occurs like I said I feel fine, my breathing is normal, my heart rate is normal but I'm just so perplexed as to what causes this. Help?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper thefranchise
|

replied March 4th, 2009
shock feeling in my eyes/head
I have this too and am so annoyed because it is now occurring even while I'm awake. I've had it before once when i had the flu and I just thought it was due to being tired. I am not getting a full nights sleep becuause as you said it wakes me up just as I'm falling asleep. I have it today at work and I'm very tired but sudden movements and i get that annoying shock feeling. so strange. !
|

replied June 20th, 2009
same thing
seriously do you take recreational drugs, cos i get the same thing except my heart rate goes up. i do take recreational drugs daily and wonder if it is the cause , i have had a very rough few years that were traumatic but its been a while now since and fell im gettin better,
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2009
Experienced User
Do you feel paralized while in this state? Do you have trouble speaking also?
|

replied March 29th, 2012
yes, what is wrong? what is happening?
|

replied December 8th, 2009
whoever this person is described it very well.I have the exact same problem happens so often. It's not like when I'm sleeping and dreaming. Just happens when i am a nap or just about close my eyes.Is this normal or do I need to see a doctor.

Thank you please post a comment on my post.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
i get this all the time too! except one time i had a really scary occurrence because just before it happened my vision went completely black, then as it happened instead of a flash of light, i saw a skeleton head and arms leap forward and grab me on the shoulders! and my heart was racing.
|

replied April 19th, 2010
hunny you are probably haunted I have seen the figures in the white have you? look harder dont think as if its something wrong with you.. Do you ever also feel a tremble like just ur bed just a small small vibration like feeling? I am empathic, a little bit psychic, and I see ghosts say what you want people but its true! I have since I was a child but I do experience all the stuff u do. I dont think its anything wrong with me like physically I think its due to the abilities I possess. which u could as well just not be aware of other things.
|

replied April 25th, 2010
omg....i get this too....right before i sleep....just ready to doze off and zap. Wakes me....never get any rest...did any doctor say what this is? Im not seeing ghosts mook.
|

replied September 19th, 2010
shock feeling through body when about to fall asleep
If I can describe this what happens to me also let me know if this is what you guys feel. After sleeping for maybe a couple of hours my bovy well all of a sudden snap tight. I feel like if I had a defibulater put on me. I feels like a sudden clunk in my body. whole body about jumps in the air a little. Then it starts doing it more often as I try to go back to sleep. Scares the crap out of me and I am afraid to go back to sleep. I do take percacett(hydrocodine)and ms cotin(morphine sulfate). I have told my Dr what I feel but he has no explantion. It really scares me because everyone in my family has pasted away from heart problem(Dad, sister, mom)my brother had an heart attack when he turned 50 and I am 46. Sister dies at 45. Please let me know if this is what you feel. Thanks Steve
|

replied September 19th, 2010
If I can describe this what happens to me also let me know if this is what you guys feel. After sleeping for maybe a couple of hours my bovy well all of a sudden snap tight. I feel like if I had a defibulater put on me. I feels like a sudden clunk in my body. whole body about jumps in the air a little. Then it starts doing it more often as I try to go back to sleep. Scares the crap out of me and I am afraid to go back to sleep. I do take percacett(hydrocodine)and ms cotin(morphine sulfate). I have told my Dr what I feel but he has no explantion. It really scares me because everyone in my family has pasted away from heart problem(Dad, sister, mom)my brother had an heart attack when he turned 50 and I am 46. Sister dies at 45. Please let me know if this is what you feel. Thanks Steve
|

replied September 25th, 2010
shock at sleep
i dont take drugs or pills.... but i have had that defibulater type shock....im in a deep sleep and wake up like it was a mass shock....it is scary.
so days its one or two shocks right before i doze....and other nights its all night.... its torture.

Someone brought up surround sound from another apt....the sound is so low u cant hear it but it vibrates......but the issue is how does it happen right before i doze......i thought of the remote control....maybe the battery is affecting me.....
|

replied November 16th, 2010
They had this exact shock effect on an episode of the TV show House.... basically your body thinks it's dying so it sends out a shock to try and wake you up.

On the show he said it's common if your really tired but this kid had something else wrong with him (it was happening when he was awake).

Usually a TV show is a good reference but might help ya out.
|

replied December 21st, 2010
electrical impulses while sleeping
I'm looking for answers too. Similar episodes happen to me after I fall asleep. An unknown presense awakens me and I feel a tingling sensation but I am not able to move or turn to the presense. Everything goes back to normal after about a minute.
|

replied December 21st, 2010
@answerneeded that's normal it's called sleep paralysis. Alot of movies/nuts have made it seem like your seeing things or it's a ghost it's not... While we fall asleep, a chemical is released in our brains to inhibit the brain from acting out dreams you're just in-between those stages. You're actually at a great advantage as lucid dreaming becomes WAAAY easier.
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
Yeah, whenever you experience sleep paralysis, just close your eyes and imagine where you want to be, and then once you have the image in your head, you'll see the actual image you were thinking of in your head.

People who see ghosts and demons and stuff are just really scared when they suddenly are paralyzed, and become irrational and think that it could be a supernatural being. They then think of their image of a scary demon and then see an exact replica of their imaginary monster. If they were to think about puppies, they could actually experience crazy lucid dreaming because it's so real as you feel as if you are awake, and are much more "in touch" with your imaginary surroundings. The experience also is very memorable, because the closer to waking up a person becomes, the more they remember about the dream. People get this in the middle of the night because a person completes, on average, 3 sleep cycles and when you may be your closest to waking up, in "Stage 1" you actually wake up. The jolt is either imaginary as a person would associate such a jolt back to reality with being zapped by electricity, and as they are still dreaming they imagine the zap and think it's real. This is why you always get it at the start of your sleep. If you take ritalin (methylphenidate) or amphetamines for ADD/narcolepsy (not sure if that's spellt correctly), the stimulant effect these medications/drugs have on the body could send jolts of energy created by the stimulant. You will be just about to fall asleep and your body is still "stimulated" so doesn't allow you to fall asleep, and the jolting feeling is being forced out of dreamland, while one normally wakes up willingly.

This is actually all just my theory. It may sound completely retarded, but I'm really high, and it made sense.

(Also, you may be experiencing ringing sounds in the ear at times (tinnitus). And you'll know when you have it, if you have ringing in your ears only when you really listen for it, it's not tinnitus. Tinnitus is when you can't ignore it, and it's actually really loud. I get that sometimes.
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
Yeah, whenever you experience sleep paralysis, just close your eyes and imagine where you want to be, and then once you have the image in your head, you'll see the actual image you were thinking of in your head.

People who see ghosts and demons and stuff are just really scared when they suddenly are paralyzed, and become irrational and think that it could be a supernatural being. They then think of their image of a scary demon and then see an exact replica of their imaginary monster. If they were to think about puppies, they would picture puppies and then actually see the imagine in front of them. They could experience crazy lucid dreaming because it's seems so real, as you feel as if you are awake, and are much more "in touch" with your imaginary surroundings. The experience also is very memorable, because the closer to waking up a person becomes, the more they remember about the dream. People get this in the middle of the night because a person completes, on average, 3 sleep cycles and when you may be your closest to waking up, in "Stage 1" you actually wake up. The jolt is either imaginary as a person would associate such a jolt back to reality with being zapped by electricity, and as they are still dreaming they imagine the zap and think it's real. This is why you always get it at the start of your sleep. If you take ritalin (methylphenidate) or amphetamines for ADD/narcolepsy (not sure if that's spellt correctly), the stimulant effect these medications/drugs have on the body could send jolts of energy created by the stimulant. You will be just about to fall asleep and your body is still "stimulated" so doesn't allow you to fall asleep, and the jolting feeling is being forced out of dreamland, while one normally wakes up willingly.

This is actually all just my theory. It may sound completely retarded, but I'm really high, and it made sense.

(Also, you may be experiencing ringing sounds in the ear at times (tinnitus). And you'll know when you have it, if you have ringing in your ears only when you really listen for it, it's not tinnitus. Tinnitus is when you can't ignore it, and it's actually really loud. I get that sometimes.
|

replied June 28th, 2011
zaps
sometime when im in a deep sleep.i get awakened suddenly by an electric zap feeling in my throat.its scares me so bad
|

replied July 21st, 2011
Electrical Impulse which wakes you up
Do any of you have indigestion issues/problems? I use to get an electrical pulse feeling that would wake me straight up with the fear of not breathing. My heart would be racing and it is very scary. I was turned on to the fact that indigestion is one of the leading causes of panic attacks and other issues. I started taking Zantac 150 once a day and this has helped greatly!
|

replied March 10th, 2012
shock before you sleep !
To everyone, I have had the same experience too.
Among research I came across something interesting,
This being :
What happens is just before up sleep your brain is confused
As to weather or not it is sleep time, irregular sleep patterns main cause
Your brain is basically shutting down the body then remembering it's slew time
So you basically die for a miliscule scale of a second ...
Sounds bad but it's completely natural happens loads to people weather it be
Ones a life time or loads in a life time
|

replied August 11th, 2012
I have this exact same thing happen to me too, i'll be just about to fall asleep, and then the ringing will start, usually in my ears and my head, then my whole body. I used to fight it as soon as i felt it happen because it scared the crap out of me! but now i just try and relax through it, and let it run it's course, it only lasts for maybe a minute probably less and afterward i feel completely relaxed and ready for sleep.

i can't tell you what it is, because i dont know, but it doesn't scare me as much anymore, it's still a little disorienting when it happens because my natural instinct is to fight it, but when i relax into it, it's over like that, ande it's really not that bad.

hope this helps
|

replied August 14th, 2012
I Have to say ive had some very similar occurrences you've had every couple weeks it seems and it stresses the hell out of me whenever it happens. Usually i will be dreaming though and then all the sudden my thoughts speed up extremely fast and ill see something terrible in the dream thats not where its supposed to be like a shadowy figure or something of that nature then ill get this feeling of being stuck and this shaking sensation in my head, usually accompanied by a loud noise or buzz, after a couple of seconds ill be able to pull out of it. And then usually ill be stressed out afterwards for the entire day thinking its some sort of brain tumor or seizure disorder. I think I may be a bit of a hypochondriac as well.
|
12 >>