Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

shed thick uterine lining with provera therapy

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
i am 51 and have had no periods for 3 years, i have had a biopsy that is normal, had an mri with a intra muscluar fibroid 6 cm, i also have

a thick lining in my uterus and the doctor wants to start provera 10 mg for 10 days to shed this thick lining.

when i get off the pills will my bleeding be more because i have not
had a period for 3 years or does that matter in the amount
of blood loss i can expect to have?
also because of this fibroid with the provera make it bleed also?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Doctor
Did you make exploratory curettage or only an endometrial sample was taken?
What did the biopsy exactly said?
That "thick lining" in the uterus could indicate endometrial hyperplasia which should be taken very seriously. Provera could help only if the hyperplasia is due to some functional reasons and not organic (tumor). Intramuscular fibroid (myoma) is probably not related to that "thick lining" and provera therapy.
|

replied July 21st, 2008
provera therapy
I just had a uterine biopsy because i had spotting one weekend
the diagnosis on the path was disordered proliferative phase endometrium.
if bleeding starts, will it be heavier because i have not had a period for three years
or depending only on the thickness in the lining?
also is prometrium a better choice with less side effects?

I am very nervous about massive bleeding occuring.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Doctor
Lack of the period for more than 3 years means that you are in menopause (climax) which is expected according to your age. Your endometrium should be atrophic not proliferative!!! Bleeding is probably caused by that endometrial proliferation (hyperplasia).
The main concern is not the amount of bleeding but the cause for that endometrial proliferation? Endometrial cancer is very common and serious cause for that at your age!
If it was caused by estrogen hormones (endogenous or from outside) provera could help. But if the proliferation is caused by endometrial cancer only womb removal can help.
You need curettage, blood tests (tumor markers and hormones) and expert opinion from a gynecologist!
|

replied July 21st, 2008
uterine biopsy
i did see a gyn and she performed a utierine biopsy,

she said there was no cancer but the results were the pathology i told you earlier
i have never taken estrogen.
will the provera help to shed the lining or not?
If it will not shed the lining then ii do not want to go through the 10 days of
provera.
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
Provera for post menopausal?
I am 57 and diagnosed with a thick lining. Biopsy was fine however Dr. put me on provera to help shed the lining. I've been on it for 4 months (10 days each month) and nothing! Another doctor questioned why I was perscribed provera since I am post menopausal. Very confusing...I guess the next step is D&C.
Yours is a good question - does provera help? It sure has a lot of negative effects.
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2008
Doctor
Endometrial proliferation can be due only to 2 reasons: neoplasm (cancer) or estrogen stimulation. Biopsy excluded cancer so the endometrial proliferation is probably caused by estrogen stimulation. Have you checked the estrogen levels in your nblood?
Estrogen stimulation can be exogenous (taking hormones) or endogenous (self-production of estrogen).
Endogenous production of estrogen in women in menopause can be due to presence of some hormonally active ovarian tumor. Have you made ultrasound-scan to exclude that possibility? Estrogen hormones can be also produced by the fat tissue which can be markable in overweight women. Are you overweight?
Provera contains progesterone, which unlike the estrogen, stops the endometrial proliferation and bleeding. But provera can stop the endometrial proliferation (shed the lining) only if it is not caused by cancer.
You should take provera as long as it is necessary.
|

replied January 6th, 2010
thick endometrical lining and increased focal vascularity
can you please let me know what does increase in endometrical focal vascularity means ..?
really worried.I am just 27.
|