Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

sharp shooting pain in lower back after two days drive?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I have a sharp shooting pain in my lower back just to the right of my spine.
About 4 weeks ago I drove from Michigan to California (two days in the car for 17 hrs), that is when it all started. Then it went away for awhile, and now it is back. It mainly hurts while sitting, then intensifies when I go to stand up. To move or bare the majority of my weight on the right side causes shooting pains as well. I Don't notice it to bad while laying down or after I get moving.
Any idea what is going on?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2011
It could be a number of things. I've seen a list of some causes here.

http://thepainblogs.com/Articles/PaininLef tSide.aspx

Could be muscular or anything else.
|

replied September 13th, 2012
I'm having the exact same problem right now. Its very painful to sit and I can barely get up on my own after sitting down for a few minutes. I'm only 27 so I hope its not because of old age. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?? Its so bad I cant even put on my own shoes!
|

replied September 14th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Keesa85, I would suggest that sitting for long periods of time, your ligaments (discs) in your lower back are stretched or torn. So things shift out of place = PAIN!!!

Quote:
I can barely get up on my own after sitting down for a few minutes.

When you sit for a long time, your hips flexors (psoas muscle and rectus femoris) muscles get short and tight. When you stand up, the muscles are still locked in this shortened position. So they compress your lower back = PAIN!!!

Quote:
I'm only 27 so I hope its not because of old age

I have seen middle aged people out for a run. You can tell they do a lot of sitting because they are still in the bent position. It looks like they have a chair attached to their butt while they are running!

I would start by stretching out your hips.

To stretch your hips:
1) "Supine groin stretch" (Do a Google search)
- or -
2a) "KNEELING LUNGE STRETCH" (Do a Google search)
2b) "STANDING LUNGE STRETCH" (Do a Google search)
- Front leg up on a step of chair will give a better front-of-hip stretch.

While both hips are tight, one is tighter than the other. This pulls your spine to the side. Causing more pain on that side when you sit.
TRY THESE to stretch out the tight side:
1) HAND LEG OPPOSITE GLIDES:
a) Lie face down on the floor with arms extended straight overhead.
b) Let your ankles drop out to the sides so your feet are pigeon-toed.
c) Reach UP with the LEFT ARM and DOWN with the RIGHT LEG.
d) Now switch and reach UP with the RIGHT ARM and DOWN with the LEFT LEG.

2) "STANDING WINDMILL" (Do a Google search)
Stand with your back against the wall.
a) First shift your torso to the side, THEN bend to that side.
b) Bend left / right with your feet at 3 different widths: shoulder width -then wider -then wider still.
c) Make sure you bend just as far to the right as to the left.
|