Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

sharp radiating pain in anus (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
hello. i hope someone can give me some information. i have no knowledge of prostate related problems.
i used to get an occasional sharp pain in my rectum. it would happen for 2 seconds and disappear. but as of a few months and very recent i get it 2 times in a 24 hour period. it feels like its in the surface of the rectum and is a sharp stab like pain. ive noticed it radiate upward to above my penis.

the area which it radiates to above the penis is in discomfort sometimes as well. its like a numb type feeling that comes and goes.

i was wondering does this sound like a potential prostate issue? what tests can be done to find out?

thank you so much im so worried.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Zyrius9
|

replied October 5th, 2009
I was about to start a topic on the same problem...
Hi, I was just going to start a new topic about this problem when I saw your thread.

I'm a 21 year old male and having been experiencing these shooting pains since I was about 18. I usually get this about once a month but it nearly brings me to my knees; it feels like someone stabbed a knife into my rectum. The pain lasts about 2 seconds and there are no other symptoms that accompany it at the same time.

The reason I came here was because I noticed a new development. I was in the shower tonight and had the same shooting pain that I've had before, but this time it felt like an arrow going through me and I experienced the same severe pain in my lower abdomen.

I tried to show where I felt the pain in this diagram, with the black arrow:

This year I have been experiencing increased urinary infections with at one time, mucous in the urine (this was the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced). There is a burning sensation in the head of my penis and my anus at the same time, so I'm wondering if it's a prostate problem.
|

replied July 6th, 2012
I had the same problem, I was so terrified because it used to last even after 2-3 hours of after I go to washrooom. I ried reading all post on internet, and just did some thing which helped me to cure this completely.
1. Eat apple and cereals once you wake up in the morning.
2. stop eating meat-chicken/beaf etc. I quit eggs too. ( I was vegen for last 25 years and had started eating eggs, chicken just recently, so my body was not used to eggs.)
3. Excercise everyday especially runnning or cyclling. This wil make wonders within 2-3 days.
4. Quit drinking whisky, vodka (beer is ok, but not more than 3)for 1 month
I hope this will work for you.
|

replied October 23rd, 2009
sharp anus pain
yeah i have been having the same feelings... sometimes outta nowhere i will get this overwhelming sharp pain in my anus for a second...its pretty intense. i use to not get them often now they happen almost everyday but the pain is not as intense.. i will also feel a sharp pain in my left lower abdomen area, once in a while ??? any body know?? i know i have a hemroid on my left anus lip that will pop out every couple months.but i had that for 5 years b4 i had this new problem..???any feedback??
|

replied November 9th, 2009
Anybody ever figure this out? I have the same damn thing going on. 24 and otherwise healthy. Got them once in a while my whole life. Now its getting worse, and more frequent. I also have a soreness in my testicles. Any information on what you guys eventually got diagnosed with would be helpful. Thanks
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied November 9th, 2009
Please Wikipedia Proctalgia fugax.
|

replied March 8th, 2010
Shocked Yep I've had the same sort of pain sometimes when taking a dump; the pain is really intense, very different from passing a big floater that can also hurts like hell. I've have this sharp stabbing pain from time to time; I also had this pain with the runs recently, it feels like something sharp is scraping your insides. I assume that this pain could be irritable bowel syndrome? The pain really is something else; I really think I’m going to die sometimes; the pain can be panic intense.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
Rectal and Penis burning sensations
I'M 79 YRS OLD. Had prostate surgery reeming the prostate. Left me unable to pee without use of catheter tube.Last 3 weeks I experience pain in the rectum and sometimes penis like someone shoved a hot poker up my behind. Pain lasts for about an hour and I find that standing is what gives me any relief..but not much, and not for long.Anyone have aremedy or information on this?
|

replied May 30th, 2010
thank you to 'choumyco' for the excellent wikipedia link; very informative

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proctalgia_fu gax

just wanted to add a response to 'thesacredherb' comment about a related sore testicles symptom. this can be caused by vericose veins in the scrotum (Varicoceles). if you experience this rectal condition - the pain and cramping will cause increased blood flow to your entire mid-section area, inlcuding the testicles - potentially causing vericose veins to flare up and cause discomfort
|

replied May 30th, 2010
btw, i have experienced this Proctalgia condition many times over the years. a few times i've woken up in the middle of the night because of excruciating pain that wasn't there when i'd fallen asleep

that being said, i should also note that i've found the hilarity in reading posts from other people speaking of "red hot pokers up their ass". a moment ago i was actually smacking the desk with tears in my eyes i was laughing so hard. thank you Smile
|

replied May 31st, 2010
Proctalgia fugax
I read up about this on Wikipedia, interesting, I haven�t had any further pain that I described for quite some time, thank God. The pain I described only lasted a few seconds 10-15 max. I don�t know what I would do if it lasted for 20min this must be something different, I've seen the Dr, and had my prostate gland poked and prodded by a rather pretty female Dr, this Dr undid my belt and unbuttoned my jeans, I have to admit that I actually felt slightly aroused by the this lady�s approach. I�m not suggesting for one minute that this Dr was acting in inappropriate manner, or that I actually enjoyed this ladies finger wedged up my back side. This Dr Suggested that the wall of the rectum can be torn, she felt that this may well explain the pain that I have felt.
|

replied September 9th, 2010
i'm 27 years old, i remember like it was yesterday the first time i had a severe pain that shot through my penis, prostate area, and my rectum simultaneously. scared the hell out of me-i was 23. since then it happens about every couple months. the pain is almost unbearable. this usually occurs while i am sitting down, its happened while driving several times. when it does happen, if i wasn't sitting, it'd floor me-stops me dead in my tracks...the shot in my penis and rectum goes away after a few seconds but the pain in my prostate area stays for a good 10-20 seconds. any feedback would be much appreciated...i've got several issues with my body and i've waited far too long to seek medical attention...i acquired free medical insurance through the state and it expires first of next year so i am trying to get diagnosed before then. thank you
ryan
|

replied November 26th, 2010
i am yet another one who suffers from whatever this is. still have not found a good answer though. I'm almost 21 now, have been feeling this every now and then for a few years now.. i feel like it is a sharp, intense, cramp like, piercing pain right on or below the prostate or more particularly on the bulbourethra glands. it is definitely one of the worst pains i've ever had, and usually happens at least one every few/couple days. right before it gets really intense, i feel it coming. it sometimes happens when i jump or fall down, sometimes when i'm simply sitting or standing, and often right at the end of urination (when the scphinter is closing). the first time it happened, i dropped to the ground and was scarred i was going to die for a second.
anyone with something more similar to me? i haven't found any diagnosis for this type of condition anywhere.
i am thinking of getting a physical pretty soon to figure this out (although i hate the idea of it)
|

replied June 7th, 2011
severe pain around anus..taint and scrotum
my husband of a little over 6 yrs.has been having the most severe pain near and around his rectum, taint and scrotum. the pain is so bad it knocks him to the floor. he turns sweaty and pale. the severe pain can last anywhere from 10 min. to 1 hr. This issue attacks him at anytime..day..pm...am... wakes him up in the middle of sleeping. He has seen a urologist, our primary care dr, and has seen a gastroentronologist......these dr have not been able to come up with any answers!!!! Hollis (husband) suffers so very much we do not know what to do....he finds at times he has to walk and pace around to help the horrific pain and as mentioned before the pain knocks him to the ground....HELP ANY ANSWERS ? PLEASE someone out there with any suggestions he needs help.. this issue at hand takes up a lot of his day and It hurts him so very bad...wife Jeanne..with kind regards
|

replied August 9th, 2011
Mine is like a long sharp icepick trying to find the head of my groin entering from behind (sorry for the visual!). I have read things from - sitting to long, horseback riding, frequent sex, infrequent sex, bacteria, !**@! have no ideas!
|

replied July 26th, 2012
Hi there,I'm a woman & suffering exactly the same as your husband,you wrote this post over a year ago & I was wondering if you had any luck at all??
|

replied July 15th, 2012
Hi,
I just decided to look this up because it has been irritating me for a couple of years now and seems to be getting a bit worse. This sounds like exactly what I go through. I'm 23 years old and this pain comes and goes in increments of about 5 or 10 seconds and sometimes lasts for around half an hour or an hour. It's like a sharp intense pain shooting up through my prostate. Anyone else get this? Any other information would be much appreciated.
|

replied July 26th, 2012
Anal pain
I have suffered for around 3 years now,I started getting it once a year now it's 3 times a year,I had one today but it's getting worse,I have to leave the room so nobody can see how much pain I am in then I lock the bathroom door & sit & suffer for anything to between 10-20 minutes,today the pain was that bad I started pouring with sweat & was also sick but it got to the point I thought I was going to pass out as the pain was that intense,how you people cope when your having them 3 times a week I can't imagine,does anybody know what it is???
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2012
This pain (same as all of you are having) is what extended my life. It got so bad I had to sleep in a hot bath tub to relieve the pain. Couldn't stand it any longer so I went to my doctor. (long story short) I had advanced prostate cancer, and it had attached to my rectum. That is what was causing the pain. Had I just kept ignoring it, I would be dead by now. It was spreading that fast.

Men, that cancer was found when I was only 48 yrs old. (I'm no 53) I have to have check up every 3 months, and take Casodex, Flanestoride nightly. If your having a deep pain in that area... GET IT CHECKED.
|

replied September 30th, 2012
same prob
I have all the same pains also! I found out that sitting in a hot tub helps the pain to go away alot quicker for me, or stick something hot on the lower abdominal also helps.
This usually happens to me when I eat pizza and red meats. Stuff like that makes me hurt really bad. I work out everyday and It has helped me to switch up to good diet. Good chicken and vegetables/ fruits and fish. Snacks are fine but try to stay away from the heavy stuff.
|

replied September 30th, 2012
same prob
I have all the same pains also! I found out that sitting in a hot tub helps the pain to go away alot quicker for me, or stick something hot on the lower abdominal also helps.
This usually happens to me when I eat pizza and red meats. Stuff like that makes me hurt really bad. I work out everyday and It has helped me to switch up to good diet. Good chicken and vegetables/ fruits and fish. Snacks are fine but try to stay away from the heavy stuff.
|

replied October 12th, 2012
Answers?
It seems as though I have the same pain as everybody here except my intense pain is just in the rectal area and lasts for a minute or two, not seconds. I'm trying to avoid having someone poke and prod that area so I came here for any answers of what I could do to stop having this pain or if it's serious or not.
|

replied October 17th, 2012
Sometimes i get a sharp pain in my rectum after im done masturbating. What could it be. I masturbate in a daily basis and i always get this pain. Somebody please help me.
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
I still dont have answers. when I was born I had a kinked ureter. and had to have surgery to replace it. surgery went fine untill i was about 8-10 years old I started seeing blood in my urien. so I went back to see my surgeon and was informed that one of my kidneys is infected due to over working from the ureter being kinked. then when I hit about 18 i started having these shrp pains in my rectal area. conserned i want to my doctor and he told me that my prostate was infected. so i need to take more antibiotics. but i stll cant get rid of my pains. Being 21 years old cancer is the last thing I want to think about. is there any way my past kidney problems could have something to do with this pain. Im not getting any answers from doctors im just getting tossed around.
|

replied December 7th, 2012
This has happened to me for years. the pain is the worst pain ive ever felt in my life its like a knife is inside my rectum. I usually pass a gas when this happens right after the pain leaves.. its probably some kind of stuck air in the rectum area. I've been fortunate it has only happened to me at home cuz i scream into a pillow in pain Sad my boyfriend thinks iam crazy or i exaggerate since hes never felt this
|
12 >>
Quick Reply