Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

sharp pains around my stomach and under my sternum

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
I'm a female_21 years of age, I've had a kid 2 yrs ago and hadto have a c-section.. I'm experiencing extremely sharp pains inside around my stomach under my sternum.. I've asked doctors and all they say is acid reflux. Or it will stop if you lose weight. Well I've lost weight an ate right and it still comes back. Usually 2 to 3 times a week. Some people have told me it's my gall bladder. My family has had problems after having children like me. Experiencing exact same pains. One had to have her gall bladder removed an the other had a bowling ball sized cyst in her overy. No joke. These pains had dropped me to my knees and have brought me to tears. Also it makes me nauseated and the pain usually lasts 2 to 5 minutes. I've gone to the doctor three times over this and there not doing anything. Please help. I don't know what is going on.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2012
Gallbladder Disease Answer A31347
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Based on your weight and height you seem to have a BMI of 27.0, which indicates that you are overweight.

Hence conditions like acute gastritis and gall stones could very well be the cause in such cases.

You may consult with your doctor, who may advice you to undergo a ultrasound of the abdomen, which will help to confirm the diagnosis.

In the mean time, you can use antacids like Tums, Mylanta, which can help reduce the acidity. OTC proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole will also help by reducing acid secretion.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.