Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

sharp pain under left rib cage radiating down side to back

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I have a very sharp and recurring pain that starts under my rib cage on the left side and radiates down my side and under my rib cage in the back. It increases when I lay down on my left side and will decrease when I "pinch" or put pressure on the area under my left breast. It is not constant but is severe to the point of taking my breath away.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
I think you should see your doctor about this. It could be a variety of things. Pain in the torso can have a tendency to refer to other places, making it more difficult to identify the source. For example, when I had pleurisy (which is inflammation of the lining of the lungs caused by pneumonia), it hurt in my back and my shoulder. The doctor thought it was gallstones because that can also present like that.

When you go see your doctor, make sure you have a list of all the other symptoms you have, even ones you don't think are related, like a cough, frequent urination, whatever it is. Also, see if you can pay attention to when it hurts more, ie. at night, after eating, after coughing, whatever. And make sure to mention what makes it better (you said putting pressure on the area). Does anything else make it better, like ice or heat, over-the-counter pain medication, or anything?
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
Thank you for the response. The only thing that makes it feel better is time. It comes and goes. This has been going on for awhile. I was originally told it was "referred pain" from my gallbladder, which was removed. There is now a baseball sized "knot" in my belly from that surgery and I have increased acid reflux issues, but the "referred pain" is still there. It is getting more frequent and I'm concerned it could be liver or kidney issues.
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
Liver and kidney function is easy enough to test for, with blood and urine samples. Did they say that the "knot" was normal after surgery? Are you being treated for the acid reflux? Have you had an ultrasound or any other tests after the surgery? Maybe it would be a good idea to ask about that.
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Again, thanks. And, the knot I've been told is a hernia. The reflux is being treated with meds and diet changes. I know blood work will determine any liver and kidney issues. Just didn't know if the pain could be connected. It's just after being told that this will subside and "it's only referred pain", I didn't know what to ask a doctor to look for. They seem to think it's all in my head. Very frustrating.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I know exactly what you are going through, Ive been having a sorts of abdominal pain, I was told that I have BV which is a bacteria vaginal infection, also was told from the EDG they performed that I have some inflammation.. So I don't know what is going on. I too have had some pain under my rib cage on the left side and radiates down my side and under my rib cage in the back."sharp pain under left rib cage radiating down side to back". as well as diarrhea, vaginal bleeding, Nausea, dizziness, and short breathed. Its very disturbing! have had this now for 3 months!!! I just want to scream!
|

replied July 4th, 2012
pain in side and ribcage on left side
i have all these symptom but i had my galblater took out a two yrs ago is rhere any way i can take care of this at home
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
pain
I've had pain under back rob cage located on left side foe a few weeks, thought maybe stress but its getting worse,takes my breath away. Feels like I've been hit.please. advise
|