Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

sharp pain just below and to the sides of my sternum

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I've asked this question earlier today, but new symptoms occured.

Been having stomach "cramps"/ hunger pangs, at least what seem to be hunger pangs, especially upon waking when lying down. There is a sharp pain just below and to the sides of my sternum when this happens.

A couple nights past I overindulged on a night out to a buffet. The next morning upon waking I had discomfort and pain in my lower abdomen, which was resolved with pepto bismol and moving around.

Today the same thing, except the pain was sharper and higher, as mentioned above, around my sternum. Food made this pain go away. During the course of the day I've had several "cramps/pangs", which also generate slight pain on the left side of my chest, under my armpit, and to the lower right part of my abdomen, above the hip bone.

My meals are not at regular times, nor do I eat all that much. I lead a sedentary lifestyle.

Eating doesn't cause me pain or discomfort.

All this began the morning after my overeating.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A19473
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

From the history provided it seems that you may be having Reflux disorder, gastritis or peptic ulcer disease.

Heavy partying and episodes of Binge eating can cause severe gastrointestinal distress due to increased acid secretion.

Healthy eating habits and regular intake of healthy nourishing food is important. Avoiding junk food and sugar containing drinks like sodas, and being responsible when drinking alcohol is very important to prevent recurrence of such episodes in the future.

Your pain and discomfort may respond to antacids (Tums, mylanta, etc) and acid reducing medications (Prilosec, Protonix, etc). In addition activated charcoal tablets can help to reduce your bloating.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.