Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Sharp pain in right temple

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my simptoms Sad

Please see figure: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/179/hea dsn5.jpg

I'm male, 22 yrs old. I feel a strong, sharp, pulsating pain in my right temple whenever I apply warm water or pressure to a specific spot (see figure) on the right side of my head (in the figure it's the left side, but it was the only decent picture I could find). The pain is abrupt and only lasts for a second or two after the water or pressure stops. The pain started appearing a couple of years ago (3, maybe 4), before then I didn't have this issue.

Mostly it happens when I'm in the shower, if I direct the water stream to that specific spot or if water drips from my head down to that area. If the flow is only held for a short moment, the pain is not as intense as it is if I keep it for a couple of seconds. I investigated and it only happens with hot (like shower hot, not just warm) water, not cold.

I found that the pain has a certain "warmth threshold", water below this threshold does not affect me. Sometimes, over the course of the bath I [probably] get accustomed to the warm atmosphere and the warm water does not trigger the same effect anymore.

Sometimes, that spot itches (leading me to suspect it's a nerve problem) and the itching doesn't go away if I scratch, but if I scratch harder, it triggers the pain, also lasting only for a moment, but still very strong and somewhat pulsating. If I try to apply real hard pressure (with my nail) to the spot (which is approx. at the end point of the mandible), it bites back, the pain lasting for about 10-15 seconds, very sharp. I think it hates me...

Somewhat related is that whenever I have a headache, it is localised in the same spot, on my right temple. When I have a headache (I could say they are more often than normal, about once / week - but then again, I spend a lot of time on a computer, at work, and I'm also stressed with some exams), I also have the sensation of pressure behind my right eye, all the way to the nose, leading one doctor to believe it could be a problem with the sinuses, but it turned out that, although for the last couple of years I have been having a lot more mucus in my throat and nose (not exactly sure why that is, a pharyngeal exudate analysis revealed nothing), my sinuses are ok.

One doctor suggested could be a blood flow problem, and I took a Doppler exam around the arteries on the right side of my throad, which didn't show any abnormalities with my blood flow.

I specifically asked for an MRI (not sure why, just sounded like something that would see if I had a tumor or anything), but which also showed nothing abnormal (if necessary, I can provide JPG's, but two different doctors said that it's clean).

Another idea was that it could be a nerve from a tooth. I went to the dentist 2 yrs ago, I had a "dental panoramic radiography" (not sure about the term), and the dentist said no nerve was extending further than it should, so this is not the problem either. He fixed 5 or 6 of my teeth, with no effect on the head aches.

I'm stuck. I went to 5 different doctors, nobody has any idea what's wrong with me, and I have to pay for each consultation and exam, since I have to go to private clinics (state hospitals here are insanely insecure, you come out worse than when you came in). One neurologist's conclusion was "just like it appeared out of the blue, it will go away". I'm not ok with that, I have no guarantee it won't escalate over time.

If you have any insights, please help me figure out what's wrong.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 17th, 2009
Ice pick headache
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? It sounds like I am having the exact same thing except my pain is always just above my left temple. Hot water also brings on the pain. Pain is intense like an ice pick stabbing me it lasts 1-3 seconds and then it's gone. I'm waiting on insurance approval for a MRI.
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
Very interesting, as I just starting having this pain today. It is very intense for 1-2 seconds on my left temple, but has not been brought on by anything specific. I will pay attention when showering, to see if that brings it on as well. Does anyone have any additional insight?
|

replied May 25th, 2010
I'm with ya..Wish i knew what it was
Oh my gosh! At least i know I'm not the only one. If it happens when anyone is around me and they see my reaction, they think I'm crazy. I try to explain it, but they glaze over it like it's nothing. Mine isnt brought on by water or temperature or anything. it just randomly happens. Just glad whatever it is only last a few seconds. Would like to figure out what this is.
|

replied May 25th, 2010
I'm with ya..Wish i knew what it was
Oh my gosh! At least i know I'm not the only one. If it happens when anyone is around me and they see my reaction, they think I'm crazy. I try to explain it, but they glaze over it like it's nothing. Mine isnt brought on by water or temperature or anything. it just randomly happens. Just glad whatever it is only last a few seconds. Would like to figure out what this is.
|