Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Sharp pain in back of throat

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
My throat has been bothering me for almost a month. At first my throat wasn't allowing me to swallow and it also made my voice sound like i was choking, it lasted for 2 weeks. After that passed my throat had gotten really raspy, that also lasted for 2 weeks. After that cleared up, in the back of my throat on the left side I have a sharp pain every time I swallow, move my neck, or trying to clear my throat or nose. It feels like someone is stabbing me in the throat, all of this started as soon as I popped my ear because I could barely hear at the time because there was water in one. I really do not know what to do, when I looked in the mirror of the tonsils in my throat were bigger than the other. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A9957
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

All your symptoms are suggestive of a severe upper respiratory tract infection including tonsillitis, with probable small abscess in tonsil. Upper respiratory tract infections can involve tonsils, lymph nodes in the throat causing enlarged adenoids. This may cause blockage of Eustachian tube, middle ear infection.

Raspy voice suggests pharyngitis also. Basically, you appear to have a very severe upper respiratory tract infection which requires some antibiotic therapy, lozenges to ease the pain. If there is a nasal block, nasal drops to reduce mucosal swelling are also needed.

Please consult your general practitioner for examination and treatment with suitable antibiotics. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.