Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Sharp, but intermittent pain in my right side ribs?

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
For a few months now, I've been getting a sharp, almost pinching kind of pain in my ribs on the right side. It can be anywhere between right under my nipple to the very bottom of my ribs. I've been to the doctor numerous times (I've had my LEFT lung collapse four times and I could always tell because of a pinching pain under my ribs, so when I felt it on the RIGHT side, I rushed myself to the ER), but every time they've done X-Rays, they said that nothing was abnormal and that I was fine. They gave me a two weeks prescription for Celexa a few months ago, but that didn't help at all, it actually made my anxiety worse and the pinching pains didn't go away at all.

I'm not overweight, I weigh only 155lbs and I'm 6' tall.

I've tried exacerbating the area to see if anything makes it worse, so that way I can at least tell if it's skeletal, muscular or something wrong with my lung, but nothing I do seems to cause it to flare up. EXCEPT, I sleep with two pillows and the bottom one always moves, and when I'm lying on my right side, I reach up and pull it back into place with my left arm and the pain seems to flare up ever so slightly. I've tested this a few times and it seems to be the only thing that makes it any worse.

Also, and I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not, but once in a while, when I'm drinking something cold, it seems like I can feel that coldness in the area of my ribs where the pain seems to radiate.

Could anyone help me out? Like I said, I've been to the doctor on multiple occasions and have hefty bills that I can't afford piled up, so please, please, PLEASE don't suggest that I go back there again.

Oh, I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but in December I had pleurodesis on my left lung because of the multiple collapses. Maybe some kind of referred nerve damage pain?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2012
Your don't mention your age, sex, occupation or general health.
It is unlikely that a pinching pain in the right chest has anything to do with your previous problems on the left. It sounds like the pain on the right side is musculoskeletal in origin, perhaps related to musculature between a couple of the ribs. In my book on chest pain (Chest Pain When & When Not to Worry, Pelican Publishers, 2009) I give a few examples of chest pains that are from the chest wall, but there are many more conditions. It doesn't sound like the pain is emotional in origin, though anxiety may make it worse. The "pinching" nature you describe is more like a muscular origin than a nerve origin.
It is possible that one of the muscle relaxing drugs might be of help. In any case, I don't think your symptoms merit being alarmed.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2012
30 years,I also feel the same condition aS DW110,but mine associated with weekness,tiredness and little fever. The doctors said thesame,that am ok. But I know somthing must be really wrong.last night was another agony of pinching pain. Please somebody help. Am just weighing myself down with taughts.
|

replied May 22nd, 2013
Did you ever figure out what was causing the pain? I ask because I'm having identical symptoms.
|

replied April 7th, 2014
under right rib stabbing inconsistent couple seconds pain
Stabbing pain brought on by a movement of right arm or putting pressure on my right side reachiing. Quick and severe under right rib cage. Doc says it's a muscle. Take it slow . Feels like I swallowed a toothpick and it's not going away. Worried it's a tear or rip or the failing of something vital. scary. Now two weeks everyday.
|

replied April 8th, 2014
Daceymark-- sounds kinda like a bruised or cracked rib. Have you been coughing a lot lately?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.