Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

shaking limbs

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
ive written to this forum before with this problem. Ive been on zoloft for the last 3 months and it said this could be a side-effect.
When im about to fall asleep my legs start jerking and it keeps me awake. Ive stopped taking the zoloft but im still getting the jerking feeling. Anyone out there that can relate??? I did go see my doctor and they did blood-work, all of which came out negative. They referred me to a sleep-clinic but to be honest im too scared to go. I figured that once i stop the zoloft it would go away but it hasnt. Im going to phone and make another appointment tomorrow i think. Could i have restless leg-syndrome maybe??? Mine doesnt feel like its just the legs, its almost the centre of my body. If anyones ever felt like theyre falling whilst asleep, well its like that, except it comes from nowhere just as im about to fall asleep.....kinda scared, my grand-ma died of MS and my grand-pa on other side of Motorneuron disease. I know theyre not supposed to be hereditary but i dont know.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
This does sound like restless leg syndrome.

MS is a genetic disorder. What you are describing is not consistent with MS so I doubt this is the problem.

You may want to go back to your doctor and suggest RLS-restless leg syndrome.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
That's what I was thinking too... restless leg syndrome. There are medications for it, but also some simple things you can do to help reduce the feeling.
|

replied June 17th, 2008
Experienced User
what are the simple things i can do to reduce the feelings???
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
From what I gathered on web md-

avoid alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine. Make sure you are getting adequate nutrition, sometimes a vitamin or mineral deficiency can cause RLS. "You may also benefit from physical therapy and self-care treatments, such as stretching, taking hot or cold baths, whirlpool baths, applying hot or cold packs to the affected area, limb massage, or vibratory or electrical stimulation of the feet and toes before bedtime. Exercise and relaxation techniques also may be helpful."
|