Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Shakes during sleep

Hi
Ok so when I sleep i sometimes shake, I soemtimes wake up from the shake aswel, Ive been having theses shakes since I was small. I just want to know why am I shaking? Is it normal? My partner says sometimes he thinks Im having a nightmare, but then I dont think I was. lol please let me know if Im making any sence
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 14th, 2012
Experienced User
Hi Ragmat, if you mean like a jerk, by shakes, everyone gets these sometimes. I get them alot, too. They're just involuntary movements.
|

replied June 3rd, 2013
I get these shakes too! Not single jerking movements, but shakes which last for about 10seconds or less. I believe that it is essential type of myoclonus, check it out on Wikipedia http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus. Myoclonus can sonetimes be a sign of some health conditions as well as occurs on it's own, without any underlying disorder. So if you not epileptic, for example, or don't have other signs and sympoms of conditions listed on the Wikipedia page, it is likely to be essential myoclonus.

Mine sometimes come together with sleep paralysis, but in that case I also have noise in my ears.
I don't think there is anything to worry about. I had these shakes for ages and I'm pretty healthy. Though when I was a child it used to freak me out, because I thought it is magic or aliens want to abduct me. I read on some forum that many superstitious people continue to believe in this in their adult life, thogh myoclonus is perfectly explained by science and in itself does not cause any harm to our body.

So my conclusion is that the majority of people have single jerking involuntary movements while they sleeping or falling asleep, but some people shake for few seconds. By the way both of my dogs have shakes. I'm not sure if it is the same as I have, or they just dreaming of chasing a rabbit.
|
Quick Reply