Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Sex and schizophrenia

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Can anyone one tell me if schizophrenia can make you not want sex. I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, my intimate relationship with hubby has not been right for some time now, I just wondered if my repulsion to sex could be linked to schizophrenia. Thankyou.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper quirkysue
|

replied November 16th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah it's very possible. I haven't heard anything specific about finding sex repulsive but Schizophrenia is very customized. A lot of people sufferring from schizophrenia don't like emotional stress in general. Were you much more comfortable with sexuality prior to being diagnosed with the disorder?
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
I have had a healthy sex life in the past, it just seems to have declined and become more difficult over time up until a point where it is now impossible for me to even think about it.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Do you feel the same discomfort with kissing or other forms of intimacy or is any kind of sexual contact uncomfortable for you?
|

Active User, very eHealthy
It isn't that the "schizophrenia" makes me not want sex, it's having a greater understanding of things and sex and how it all works that makes me not want it.

Simply put, once I discovered that it was awful I didn't want it.
|
Tags: sex
Quick Reply