Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Sex after key hole surgery.

Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
I had key hole surgery last Monday to check for endometriosis. Apparently there wasn't a lot of endometriosis but there was some deep between the bladder and the uterus. After the found it they inserted a merina as treatment. I was well enough to leave the hospital that day and they gave me a pamphlet on some post op things telling me not to drive or swim etc for a certain amount of time and not to have sexual intercourse for 2 weeks. On Sunday I was talking to my friend who is a Gynecologist who told me that as soon as you're active after that surgery you are okay to have sex so my partner and I attempted to last night (Monday following Surgery). Afterwards I had lower abdominal pain that was a painful dull ache whenever I was still and and sharp sickening pain when I moved. I decided that I would wait until the two weeks were up and see if I had any pain was gone by then but the pain has subsided very little today while going through my daily activities. I was wondering if there could possibly be any damage inflicted and if I should seek medical help.
Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

With any abdominal surgery or even with keyhole procedure (laparoscopy), the integrity of the peritoneal cavity is affected and this causes infection and inflammation within the abdominal cavity.

Hence it will take a few days time for the inflammation to subside and body functions to get back to normal.

When you move or have sexual intercourse, the pelvic organs are irritated and this will result in pain. Hence you should refrain from having intercourse for at least a few days (upto 1 - 2 weeks). You can try having sex earlier, if you are comfortable or have no pain . But you should take precaution and avoid deep penetrative sex, very rough sex, and adopt missionary like positions where the female partner is at rest. But it should be stopped immediately if you have any form of slight discomfort, pain, or distress.

In your case, since you have sharp severe pain when you move, you may need antibiotics to treat any infection and pain killers to help tolerate the pain. Hence you should consult with your doctor for a examination and proper help.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Endometriosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.