Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

sex after hip replacement?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
how do have sex after hip replacement
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
kimberly,

There are several threads here on eHealth on the topic. If you just use the Search engine at the top right of the page, you should be able to pull up the threads. There is a lot of personal experience and information there.

Also, if you Google the topic "aahks, total hip replacement, sexual intercourse", you will see the link to the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons website for information. Go to that link, and at the very bottom, you will see a whole bunch of links specifically about sex after a total hip.

But, in general, anything is okay, AS LONG AS is does not go passed the allowed RANGE OF MOTION. You want to avoid extreme hip flexion, abduction, and internal rotation. The missionary style is usually okay (don't flex the hips up too much). Lying on the side, standing with man from behind are other allowed positions.

Again, if you check out the above sources you will obtain a whole host of information. Good luck.
|

replied April 16th, 2012
I'm a 37 yo female 3 weeks post op (today!) and while doing fantastic I've had ALOT of questions about sex after this surgery. My hospital did provide a booklet with specific positions to do and NOT do .... But I also have the question: are these limits in place only while on my hip precautions or now forever????
|