I have gained about 10kg in 4 months that feels like severe water retention. My feet get severely swollen, and my hands also. No matter how hard i diet to lose the weight it does not come down. Also, it feels like an abnormal amount of weight to cary from my normal weight. I wanted to check for diabetes, or it could be something else as my body does not look like it normally does. All my clothes do not fit anymore. Could you please tell me what this could be if anything. Thank you.
How much urine are you making and how much water/fluids are you drinking? If you aren't urinating much despite drinking 8c of fluids/day, you may be retaining water.
It could be:
1) a heart/blood vessel problem: congestive heart failure (high BNP), pulmonary hypertension, valvular insufficiency
2) a medication problem: certain medications can cause water retention or weight gain (birth control, etc.)
3) an endocrine problem: hypothyroidism**, hyperaldosteronism (high aldosterone, may also have low renin), SIADH (high vasopressin), primary polydipsia
5) a kidney problem: nephrotic syndrome (low albumin, normal/high pre-albumin, high urine protein levels)
6) a liver problem: cirrhosis (low albumin, low prealbumin)
There are a few other things that could cause it, but those are the more common ones that can be ruled in or out with basic labs.