Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Severe Uterine Cramping how I can get relief and/or answers?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I am a 32 year old female with two healthy children. I have had three pregnancies; the third was in 2005, and it was a ruptured ectopic. I am going through some major issues right now. I've been experiencing severe cramping (dull and achy) and nausea, with intermittent diarrhea, for months now. I originally went on the Depo Provera shot after having severe cramps and horrible periods (2-3 weeks, heavy bleeding) for the first time in my life at age 27. The doctor tentatively diagnosed me with endometriosis, since I'd been unable to conceive for 2+ years. For some silly reason Smile my husband and I decided to try for a new baby, and I came off of the Depo. My last injection was in August 2011. By the end of November, weeks after my missed Depo shot, my body went haywire. I had a severe bout of depression, I alternated between constipation and diarrhea, and I had these crazy menstrual cramps that plagued me, yet did not bring forth a period. In January 2012, I went into the ER with back pain so bad, they thought it was my kidneys. Upon pressing on my abdomen, they noticed tenderness in my lower abdomen and the upper right quadrant. They checked my gallbladder. The tests came back negative, and they sent me home with some painkillers, saying it was probably a muscle sprain. February, abdominal pain sent me to the ER again. By now, my husband and I were thinking endometriosis, but the ER doesn't check for that. Antacids and painkillers, and sent home again. I finally called and set up an appointment with a GYN. Got the male version, because he was available sooner than the lady doctor, and I needed answers ASAP. First visit, I didn't even run through my whole history, and he sets me up for a transvaginal ultrasound. Negative. 1.5 weeks later, back to the ER. They did a CT scan this time (no contrast), took some more blood and urine. Just found a cyst on my right ovary (where there hadn't been one 10 days earlier). Oh yeah, still no period. GYN agrees to laparoscopy to rule out endometriosis. Goes in, looks clear, takes 2 biopsies, both negative for endometriosis. Yet, here I am, 3 weeks later, and the pain is still keeping me up nights. Still causing me to grimace as I try to teach a room full of middle schoolers. Still causing me to limp as I attempt to keep pressure off of my abdomeN (which is impossible, btw, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something). Honestly, after two tough deliveries, I can say that these things feel like contractions. I'm nauseous, I have a terrible appetite, and I don't know how much longer I can deal with this pain. My male GYN said it was "painful periods." Pray tell... How can that be, IF I STILL HAVEN'T HAD A PERIOD???

Please help me figure out what my next steps should be, what type of doctor I need to see, what I should say, what I should ask for, and how I can get some relief and/or answers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2012
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the underlying cause for the severe abdominal cramps and pain that you describe without examining you. You can consider taking second opinion from another gynecologist. Since you are having alternating constipation and diarrhea along with the pain, you can also consider visiting a gastroenterologist for further evaluation to rule out possibility of IBS. Other possibilities include pelvic adhesions, painful ovulation, uterine colic etc. If endometriosis is suspected, treatment with hormones to control endometrial growth can help control your symptoms. Further treatment options would be suggested based on thorough evaluation results correlating with examination findings. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.