Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

SEVERE 'SPASTIC COLON'

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi,
I'm a 21 year old female and every few months (for the past 5 years) I have been experiencing severe abdominal pains which always last exactly a week. I went to see a doctor about this and they said it is spastic colon, as tests showed there was nothing else wrong with me. I generally eat a healthy diet which includes wholewheat bread every day. When I get these abdominal pains, they are EXTREMELY severe, preventing me from doing anything during the week in which it occurs. I struggle to fall asleep and when I do, I wake up frequently during the night in pain. Sometimes I also feel mildly constipated but even if I relieve myself, the stomach pains don't go away. I have tried taking anti spasmodics and pain killers like buscopan co, but they only provide very temporary relief. I do believe that this is spastic colon as I can feel that my stomach goes into a spasm and it also seems to happen when I am stressed due to exams etc.

What I would like to know is, what can I do to at least relieve these painful symptoms. Should I be taking stronger pain killers? Also, is there any way of determining if this is definitley spastic colon? I really feel like these attacks are effecting my life negatively and I don't know what to do anymore Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ckgirl
|

replied August 25th, 2008
Think thats what I have
I have been in the hospital 4 times since Nov 07 for severe stomach pains. I am given morphine and by the 3 day the pain is gone and I go home. I've had every test and exray there is, I am taking hysomine but fear another attack. I go back to my GI Dr. on the 4th of Sept to see what he has to say. Are you seeing a GI Dr? Have Dr's ruled out Crohns? Since anxiety seems to be involved maybe you should talk to Dr about that as well. Let you know what Dr say's next week.
gemmy
|

replied January 9th, 2011
Re: severe spastic colon
first, there's no need for "quotes" around severe. Anyone who's been there KNOWS you MEAN severe!
Something that took me YEARS to find out is that many people diagnosed with spastic colon are also LACTOSE INTOLLERANT. The next time you have bad spastic colon, think back and ask yourself if you had some form of eggs or milk. Other things have lactose, too, so it's a good idea to do some research on what you might be eating with lactose.
It's funny, too, because some people will drink milk to coat their stomachs when they get indigestion. Little do they know they might be making it worse!
For me, it wakes me up in the middle of the night, and nothing happens. No passing gas, anything. I go into bad, shooting, cramps, and all I can do is "push" to try to get it out. I always know it's at its worst when I feel I can't take it anymore and I start to sweat. Nothing helps me but the meds.
For people who go through it for several days, I have found a weird solution: You know how you have to prep for the gastro doctor visit? You know, the enemas, laxatives, etc? They make you feel terrible at first, BUT once you're completely clean, everything seems to run smoother for a short while. I've found when I know i'm going to go through it for several days, I can stop it by cleaning myself out completely. I guess the idea is - nothing there, nothing to irritate the bowels.
|