Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Severe pain when I need to go to the toilet

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I will get bad gas, and severe abdominal pains when I need to pass a stool. The stool is always different It could be hard to pass or very bad diarrhoea. Then sometimes I could be constipated. It varies so I really havent had proper bowl movements for a long time. The pains are very bad when I need to go to the toilet, I sweat and find it hard to breath. Also when I get my period I sometimes get bad bowl movements, don't know if this is all linked. I dont really have a bad diet I try and eat as much veg and fruit as I can.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The history given indicates, that your symptoms are due to indigestion.

Stomach or intestinal gas is a byproduct generated during the process of digestion. It is generally expelled from the body, either ‎through the mouth (called belching or burping) or through the rectum (flatulence or flatus). The flatus if smells bad, is due to ‎fermentation process of the colon contents, which generates sulphur gases, which produces that foul odor. ‎

The best way to prevent this condition is via dietary and lifestyle changes. ‎

‎1. Eat slowly by chewing the foods properly. This reduces the amount of air ingested while eating & also facilitates carbohydrate ‎digestion. ‎

Avoid foods which result in production of excess gas - like - White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory ‎based coffee substitutes, and Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts, etc.
‎
‎2. Pay attention to the kind of food you have been eating lately. This would help identify specific foods that cause bad stomach gas ‎and then cut down its consumption. ‎

‎3. In addition to the above methods, Activated charcoal, probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements can be used for intestinal or ‎stomach gas relief. Activated charcoal tablets have the best effect in relieving your symptoms. ‎

But, if the problem persists for a long time, you may consider to consult your physician for an examination and diagnostic tests for ‎digestive and absorption disorders. ‎

I hope this helps.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.