Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Severe Pain top of stomach just under rib cage

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Severe pain just under rib cage that comes on quickly and can last anywhere between 15 minutes and 3 hours. The weird things is that when it goes it just disapears almost instanly as though something has realeased it. When the pain comes on which is mostly after a meal, I cannot do anything and it feels like I am being squeezed from inside. I cannot breath properly and feel nauses through the pain. My stomach also feels like it has balloned up near the top and about to blow up. I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia just yesterday but reading about that it does not seem people with hiatus hernias get my type of pain. I know what acid pain feels like but it is nothing to this frightening pain. Can anyone please help?

Lee
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hall0ween
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2011
Experienced User
Hi knock, how are you?
I'm not a doctor.
What I suggest is for you to try chewing/eating a slice(.25 cents size)of ginger. It tingles a little while chewing it, but it usualy brings almost instant releif to my stomach. It might work for you. Your pain could be a combination of acid reflux and gas, untill eventualy the acid that's stuck above the gas bubble, finds it's way down and that's when your pain disappears. Ginger is also good against nausea.
I hope the ginger works, please let us know.
TC. T. rainbow
|

replied May 29th, 2011
i have got really bad pains at thetopof my stomach just below my breast? sometimes it feels like burning and then just a really horriblhale pain i have never had it be for has any one got any ideas and its made me be sick loadz with the pains
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2011
Experienced User
Could it be something you ate (food poisoning)?
Heartburn? Acid Reflux?
What did you eat prior to the pain?
Try the ginger (as I mentioned on other post).
TC. T. rainbow
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2011
Thanks for your advice 'aPaininThe' gonna try it. So far doctors have me on anti acid tablets and say I have a large gallstone but its not getting any better. I just dont know what to do anymore.
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2011
Experienced User
Have you had X-rays done to confirm the gallstone?
Look into Natural Remedies, especially Apple Cider Vinegar. There's a site I just found:
earthclinic. com/CURES/
There's a lot of very usefull information.
Good luck.
TC. T. rainbow
|

replied July 9th, 2011
Hi Lee again. I just replied to a post you did in 2004!! I said I thought you had gallstones, as you were describing the symptoms I had myself.

Be sure to read the FAQ's, especially right down at the bottom of the page.
Go to your Doc & demand he does something about it. It's your body, and you cannot continue this long without treatment. But to avoid them coming back,here's a site I found that will help, you must read it all the way through, it makes sense to me, having gone through it all myself. I passed the stone that was stuck in my gall-bladder, but not before I lost 20 pounds, (put it all back on when I was ok again!) Link Here:-

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=What+foo ds+do+I+avoid+If+I+have+gallstones%3F&hl=e n&client=firefox-a&hs=Mum&rls=org.mozilla: en-GB:official&prmd=ivnsfd&ei=NvkXTrK4M8OJ mQWhh5kI&start=10&sa=N&biw=1007&bih=563

It's the most sensible site I found. I went to a herbal chemist & got some stuff to take, I passed a stone, it was just a short sharp intense pain that lasted only about 30 seconds, similar to the pain you've been having, but only for a moment or two.

They say that gallstones & kidney stones go hand in hand. In my case, I had the gallstones, My hubby had the kidney stones. Our diet at that time was fatty, sugary, all those things. BTW, eggs are no longer considered to have all the cholesterol that they were thought to have. So you can eat eggs. Let your motto be, 'All things in moderation"
Good luck with it all, Lee, I hope you're fixed up soon. Please let me know if possible how you go.
Silver Angel aka Sylvia from Oz

Spread the Love and SMILE!!
|

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2011
Dear Sylvia,
Thanks for advice. I have read the info on passing a gallstone but am a little concerned about the size of my gallstone. It is supposed to be quite big (a bit smaller than a golf ball). I dont think I can pass this size of gallstone.

Thanks Lee
|

replied August 24th, 2011
Honestly sounds the exact same as my symptoms, i think you may have Gastritis, please get your doc to refer you for an endoscopy they can tell from that and put you on medication, i understand the pain, i was hopitalised twice with it, felt like a band wrapped around me pulling tighter and tighter, tender to touch, and making me breathless, had togo on agastritis diet to, because certain food will bring it on, in the mean time, avaid spicy foods, carbs, butter, biscuits, salts , vinegar etc, they thought i ad gallstone but it wasnt, it was gastritis.
|
Users who thank hall0ween for this post: knock4six 

replied November 25th, 2012
HELP
Hi there, I've been going through the same thing for awhile. My doctors keeps verbally telling me that it's acid in my stomach that's causing the lining to inflame. Ive had an upper GI and that came back normal, xray was normal too. I dud this about two years ago and the pain is back again. I went to the doctor and he just gave me pills to reduce the acid. This pain is annoying and making me nausous, I have to force myself to throw up to get some relief. Are you alseep when they do the endoscope?
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2011
Yep had camera down and besides the hiatus hernia they said I had gastritis also. I have been taking lansoprozol now regulary and so far not had any further symptoms which is about 5 months so I think this pain is Gastritis induced. I also have an immune problem which can cause gastritis apparently so hall0ween thanks ever so much I think this is it and will watch what I do to cause it.
|

replied February 29th, 2012
plz help
hey i have a prablim my stomach just uder my chest is sooo sore i get cramps and i just want to get sick i whent to the doc and he said it is strees plz help
|

replied October 13th, 2013
havig stomach pain doctor say acid gave me medicine for acid reflex after taking xray but i no its more than that pain is severe i have had the pain for a week and a half now
|