Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Severe pain on left side of abdomen

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I have been having severe abdominal pain in my left side,that happens with a b.m. it's like I'm having horrible contractions.I had this 2 months ago and it disappered,and now its back.I have a new symptom with it.I've been spotting brownish red blood from my vagina.I went to the hospital,and they did a pelvic exam.they said I had vaginosis and a small trace of an uti.they sent me home with antibiotics and gave me some bento for ibs.iam worried I ethier have rectal or cervical cancer.my periods haven't been normal lately they have been a little heavy and like thick and slimy(sorry tmi) and I have been spotting before my period,which I never use to before.the pain travels to my lower back and down my left leg.can someone please inform me on what may be goin on?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2012
(online)
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

There are many causes of spotting between periods such as hypothyroidism, cervical dysplasia, cervical polyps, cervicitis (infection/inflammation of cervix), vaginitis (infection/inflammation of vagina), cervical and uterine cancer, uterine fibroids, hormonal imbalance as in polycystic disease of the ovary, use of blood thinners, genital ulcers, STDs and stress. Most of these can also cause stomach ache and back ache. Endometriosis is another possibility.

I think you should discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.