Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Severe Pain In Bones In legs

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Okay so I have posted already about this subject. I am no longer having problems with my lymph nodes. But the pain in my bones is becoming very severe. I have horrible pain in my legs from my knees down. Pain so bad I am limping when walking or sometimes I have to lay down and can't walk at all. Putting pressure on my legs makes my pain worse. Also, I am having this deep pain in my kneecaps. It feels so deep and hurts so bad. My legs feel very tight. Going up and down stairs hurts me. It just wont let up. I don't have pain for a few weeks and then it comes back. Something doesn't seem right. What could be causing this severe pain in my bones. It's like a horrible ache that wont stop. I try and lay down, but even laying there my legs hurt so bad they get to the point where they get heavy and I can barely feel them at all. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2009
Supporter
hello i can sympathy,s with your dillema but mine is causesd by nerve root damage in my lumbar area..Have you tried propping your legs with a pillow under the knees to elevate your legs..Im not aware of your last post but what is your age honey.Those knee pains you mention can really get to you and the heavy feeling and limp you walk with can grind you down..have you been checked for any arthritic problem which can be detected through routine blood tests to see how high your RH levels are.I suffer alot with insomnia now as the pain keeps me awake and get up and walk about to keep circulation moving..I can understand why you feel at your wits end but get a check up again before it gets out of hand..I hounded my doctor as when you listen to your body like you and i are doing and you know there is something not right your seldom wrong..I hope things settle down for you but your not alone on here be assertive with your doctor about it as they can do tests to eliminate any problems..Maybe a routine x-ray or mri would help pick up your underling problem. I hope this helps you in some way let us know how you get on and keep us update also watch for other posts.
|

replied December 21st, 2009
Hey thanks for your reply. I have back problems in my L5S1. Lower lumbar also. I have had two epidurals and am past due on my third one and just waiting for my insurance to kick in. But when it's my back it sends shooting pain down my legs. I think this pain is something else. It's my bones that hurt deep inside. I wish I could better describe it. Pillow doesn't do anything. I have tried it all. I am 25 years old and have quite a few medical problems that all started after I graduated high school. I have been checked for arthritic problems and everything is ok. I see a good Neurologist and I am hoping when I see him soon he can run some more tests. My legs just don't feel like they used to. I will keep posted. I'm just a little worried because the pain is getting worse with time. So I hope I can catch what it is soon.
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2009
Supporter
Hey there again thanks for the great info..mine also is L5/s1 and i fully understand your problem and thank heavens you have a good neurologist..Down side is you will find and im 3yrs down this road now you shall find the legs are down to this one blighter of a disc..I ended up with pain management and on morphine patches and now also on amytriptelene.I get so frustrated because mt legs don,t work the same and need a walking stick to help me walk..The heavy feeling is due to the siatic nerve being compressed and cold weather like we have at moment can increase legs pain..
Its no fun when being active and no job a problem and getting about was easy to being left having to think out and plan ahead a trip outdoors.
I have prolapsed a second time which was last yr with same disc so its important you try get the mri chased on as it is possible this is the case with yourself.
I remeber the feeling like yesterday when you describe that its a pain hard to describe and you just know something is not right..
Good news for you is if this is the problem there is still a good chance you can have surgery with a great success rate and you are still young at 25 as im now 48.

I know its hard but stick with it unfortunately for me im longterm so if i can do it you can..Have you been offered tens machine which is placed on the area and small elecrtical impulses generated into the area painful most..i know from experience please do not try do jobs you used to don,t be afraid to ask for help and be safe till you push for another mri. Explain everything to your neurologist like you have here and im sure he will push you for an emergency mri or short list you for cancellation..
Please keep us posted here on any news and how you are as i know there are also times you will affected emotionally by this debilitating pain and even talking helps.
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
Hey. Thanks so much for your reply again. I'm a little worried that I am only gonna get worse. I feel it and I really hope since I am young I can fix this before it really affects me. I use to take pain medications along with many other medications, but I got tired of it. Now, I don't take anything and I feel a little better cause I don't experience any side affects. But it's a lot harder dealing with my pain. Sometimes I am down for a whole day cause I work and have a younger son. I was suppose to use a wheelchair, but I wasn't having that. I really don't want to end up using a walker either. I hope it never gets to that point. I always wondered what that heavy feeling was. Also, do your legs feel very tight?? Mine feel like that a lot especially when I bend them. Oh my gosh I always wondered why my pain would get so severe in cold weather. I would cry cause it would hurt so bad. Now, maybe my bone pain might be from my lower lumbar after all. I thought it was another condition also cause my knees hurt so bad. I thought it was deep in my bones. I will see my neurologist as soon as my insurance kicks in and see how bad it's gotten. I haven't had a checkup MRI on my back in a year. I hope I can also get my third epidural. The first two helped a little. Cause I was so bad I couldn't sleep or sit or lay a certain way for a long time. I would always cry cause of all the pain I was in. It took me a long time to find the good doctor I have now. He believed me and helped me find the problem right away. If it wasn't for him I would still be suffering and not know why. The only thing I can't figure out is how this happened to me in the first place. I am really young. I haven't worked since 2004. But I was in an accident in 2002 and it was pretty bad. I wonder if this all stemmed from that. It's nice having someone to talk to who has been through what I am going through. Thank you so much.
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2009
Supporter
Hi sorry for late reply..I hear what you say about the tightness and the knees especially.Im terrible with stairs because my knees really feel restricted..My pain at start of it all went from the lumbar area down into my big toe and i dreaded a cough or sneeze it hurt so much..I hope your insurance kicks in soon honey because you don,t want to mess with a disc they create all sorts of problems..I was left for so long because the first two doctors i consultated with put it down to a strain and it was my third doctor whom i have stuck with for the past three yrs finally took onboard what i was telling him..Did you injure your back in the accident you mention?
Its good your keeping moving and i understand the frustration of not being able to sit,lie down or stand too long..Then you have either the back pain keeping you up at night or the knee pain that no matter what you do won,t settle down..
I posted regular on the back pain forum thats why i became a supporter i actually found e.health forum whilst researching about my disc and ended up joining.
When does your insurance kick in i mean,t too ask you on my last reply..Try not to worry and as i told you with your age there is a great success rate..i often hear a dull click or cluncking noise in my back also but you have to remember any aggravation to a disc there is risk of prolapse..some go back in on thier own with physio and strengthening core muscles..surgery is a very last option so wait till you have results before you put your mind in overdrive its amazing what can be done now..
will keep an eye on your post for any replies from you..
|

replied December 27th, 2009
I was told my back was ok after the accident so I don't know. I should have insurance within January hopefully. Thanks for your replies I'm gonna see my doctor as soon as I get my insurance. Maybe my third Epidural will help me the most. I will keep posted thanks so much.
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2009
Supporter
No problem be good to hear if your injection does work and you get a bit of relief..i hope you had a nice christmas and remember we are here to support you so any worries don,t hesitate to contact us..we look forward to hearing from you..your a very determined person like myself and know you limitations so be careful.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
Ok,

So today I found out that I really need to see an RA. Can it be Rheumatiod Arthritis? The pain in my knees is out of control. The pain in my bones from my knees down. Stiffness, spasms, in my legs. Pain in my uper spine. I am beginning to think besides my back problem with L5S1 something else really is going on. I'm once again on a mission to find out what is going on. Hopefully this is the last of the last and I will finally be able to live my life. I will keep posted.
|