Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Severe low back and hip pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I''m a 40 year old female who has suffered from severe low back and hip pain for around 6 years, which is continuously getting worse.

Walking is extremely painful, with a dull burning pain in lower back and a painful ''tightness'' in my hips. I also suffer from pain in my legs and feet and have, over the past two years, loss most of the sensation in my feet and lower legs. I''ve been referred to a neurologist who has diagnosed peripheral neuropathy and I''m currently having tests done to find out the cause.

In the mornings or after sitting for a long period my lower back stiffens up as do the back of my ankles. Sitting on a firm or hard chair causes a sharper, throbbing pain all through my lower back area and tailbone. The only real relief I get is lying down on my side. Lying on my back causes my lower back to ''lock'' and is extremely painful on rising.

I was referred to a rheumatologist last year who ran some tests and found a gene test positive for anklosing spondylitis but said there was no evidence of it on MRI. I also have psoriasis.

My MRI report reads as follows:

MRI LUMBAR SPINE and SACROILIAC JOINT

Clinical History: psoriasis with low back pain. Ill defined SI joint on plain film.

Technique: Standard lumbar spine and SI joint protocol.

MRI Lumbar Spine:
Findings: Vertebral column, conus, caude equina and exiting roots are normal apart from mild L5/S1 disc degeneration and facet arthrosis.

Comment: Minimal degenerative change but no neural compression or features of a spondyloarthropathy.

MRI Sacroliliac Joints:

Findings: No active sacroilitis. There is linear subchondral hypointensity in both iliac bones that may represent old stress fractures. No bony remodelling, destruction or oedema to suggest an acute process.

Comment: No active sacroilitis. No bony pathology

----------------------------

Can someone please explain the MRI report and what it means? I was discharged from the rheumatologist with no further treatment. My GP is pretty useless and ignores me when I say the pain is getting more and more severe when walking.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing my pain?

Thanks in advance.

Anne
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi anne......your symptoms sound like they originate at L5S1. sometimes mild degeneration and arhritis can give you pain like that . if neurologist cant help i''d see ortho surgeon who specializes on spine....pete
|
Did you find this post helpful?