Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Severe headache followed by swollen and itchy eyelid

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hello,

I have a very strange problem.

Sometimes I suddenly get a severe headache only in one side of my head, which is almost always the right side.

If I do not take a painkiller it continues for about 20 to 60 minutes and then suddenly stops. But I can also stop it with a painkiller.

Regardless of whether it is stopped naturally or by a painkiller, this happens to my eyelids AFTERWARDS WITHOUT FAIL; IN THE EXACT SAME ORDER:

1. The eyelid that is on the same side gradually swells

2. Then the other eyelid does the same

3. After the swelling is complete, they both become itchy which continues for about 1-2 hours until the itchiness goes away and eyelids gradually return to normal size.

Sometimes the eyelids get puffy so much that I can barely keep my eyes open and look like cartoon, but that rarely happens and usually it is to a degree that's barely noticeable(by others).

This thing does not happen to me regularly. Sometimes it does not happen for 6-7 months and sometimes it happens multiple times in a month. I am 23 years old male and the first time it happened was about 4 years ago.

I did some Googling and the closest thing that I found was "Cluster Headaches" but could not find something exactly similar to what I've described.

I've posted this thread hoping to find someone who has experienced the same. Have you or anyone close to you experienced something like this? Do you know what it could be or what to do about it?

Kind regards,
Saeb
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2012
Swollen, itchy eyelids and migraine
I have very similar symptoms. The only difference is that my eyelid swelling lasts for about 24 hours and is then followed by about 4 days of redness and itching on the eyelids. Over the course of these 4 days, whenever the itching subsides, a severe headache takes its place. Whenever the itching returns, the headache feels much better.

Like the above posts, there have been times when this has only occurred a few times a year and other times when it has happened much more often. Lately, though, it has been happening once a month - beginning on the exact day I get my period.

This has been a mystery I've been trying to solve for the past 7 years, and (after countless doctors visits and online research) I have never been able to find any answers. If anyone has any insight into these strange symptoms, I would be very grateful.
|
Did you find this post helpful?