Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Severe facial swelling

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
User Profile
I have had server facial swelling that had quick on set. My lips, jaw, tongue and chin area. It is very painfull and I am unable to open my mouth very far. Concerned I went to local ER, he diagnoised me with Sinitus and sent me home with antibotics. The next day the swelling was still sever and more painfull. I called my local doctor, he was not in but did perscibe me steriods. I felt better all that day after taking the first dose. However, I went to bed that night and was awakend early with sever swelling again and jaw pain. I do take BP meds and have been on them for over a month now. Could that be causing my sypmtoms? Also before the seweling and pain started on saturday I had a message and the therapist said he could help my sinusis and massaged my face, it wss very painfull, he said I had a sinus infection. I have been having these symptoms since then. Could this cause it?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2010
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A17791
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. The swelling of the face which you have got has got nothing to do with the BP or BP medications. It seems to be due to acute sinusitis. This is an acute inflammation of the maxillary sinuses.

The treatment consists of not only using the antibiotics but also the nasal decongestants (fluticasone and azelastine nasal inhaler) and steam inhalation. Unless and until the opening of the sinuses into the nasal cavity gets decongested and opened, the thick secretions which are lying within the sinuses won't be able to come out and you're not going to improve.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.