Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Severe ear pain and hearing loss

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi,

I had fullness and discomfort in my R ear for about 3 weeks. I decided to got to a local ENT. The diagnosis was severely impacted cerumen. The ENT proceeded to try to remove the impaction with suction and an instrument. After several attempts, I could no longer endure the excrutiating pain--even after 3 injections of Lidocaine.

I was sent home with Debrox drops and 5 Percocets. I was to come back the following week for the same procedure.

Since the LIdocaine wore off, I have been in severe pain, and have now lost the hearing in that ear.

I called the ENT--they prescribed more Pain meds, and said this was probably normal due to the degree of the impaction.

I am worried that something went wrong, and worst of all, I am terrified of going back to have that procedure done again. The thought of something poking around my ear as it fees now is unbearable.

I could use any advice or reassurance that this is normal. Even recommendation for a great ENT in the Denver area.

Thanks

M
Did you find this post helpful?
|