Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Severe chest pain and bronchitis

Must Read
Chronic and acute cases of bronchitis affect millions of Americans every year. But what is bronchitis? And how do types of bronchitis differ?...
Bronchitis can be caused by viruses, fungi or bacteria. But what are the most well known and frequent causes of bronchitis. More info here....
Acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis manifest different symptoms. Learn to identify both types of bronchitis and when you should seek medical help....
Three weeks ago, my girlfriend was diagnosed with bronchitis. She was coughing, but it was relatively unproductive, she also had some pressure in her chest and nasal congestion. She was sluggish and couldn't seem to drink enough water or sleep enough. She was constantly freezing and shivering and her temperature was down. Her doctor prescribed a 10 day course of amoxicillin. She also chose to quit smoking because it was making her cough more.

9 days later she was feeling worse. Her doctor was closed, so we went to another doctor. The second doctor prescribed an albuterol inhaler and a different course of antibiotics, Cefprozil.

A week later, she still wasn't feeling better and called the original doctor, who prescribed prednisone and sent her for a chest x-ray. The chest x-ray came back clear, but that night she woke up with severe chest pain and said it felt like someone was sitting on her chest. The next day we called her doctor, who told us to go to the emergency room.

At the emergency room, they took blood to check for pneumonia, checked her white blood cell count, and checked for blood clots. They took a urine sample, an EKG, and another chest x-ray -- all of which came back normal. The physician's assistant told her she probably had viral bronchitis, which is why the antibiotics didn't help, and diagnosed the chest pain and tightness as pleurisy, prescribing hydrocodone for the pain, ibuprofen for the inflammation and warm compresses.

Two days later, we got almost no sleep last night because every two hours she woke up with difficulty breathing because her chest was so tight and painful. Her temperature seems to be back to normal, she almost never coughs now and very rarely does it produce anything. I have purchased a cool mist vaporizer and it sits next to her day and night. But, she is exhausted constantly and the chest pain and pressure does not seem to be getting any better.

Please, does anybody have any opinions or recommendations?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper chinst
|

replied December 12th, 2009
I have Bronchitis right now, and yes it produces pain, for me it started after 2 weeks of coughing up clear mucus, I am at the 4 th week now, I have visited several doctors, have been x-rayed 3 times during the illness where the first one came up as total clear, but at the end of the 2nd week the 2nd x -ray showed bronchitis, near to my heart, and that is the spot where I get the pain now. My doc told me it can take up to 6 weeks to clear. As I do not really produce mucus after the 3rd week I started to take cough supressant (Sinecod)it helps me, and my doc also prescribed me Atrovent N (as sometimes I woke up in the night with heavy coughing and shortness of breath, and this one helped). Also for my pain taking a warm bath (not a hot one) so around 37 C max 38 C it helps a lot, and I also sleep easier. I hope this helps, crossing my fingers for you Smile
I just noticed your post is a bit old, I hope your girlfriend is better!
|

replied December 11th, 2011
I have bronchitis now and ginger extract helps also umcka syrup by natures way is working wonders for me.
|