Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Severe Bronchitis Recovery Time

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
About 7 months ago I came down with a really bad case of bronchitis that wouldn't leave. Doctors put me on several rounds of antibiotics, but the same thing would always happen: I'd start getting better, but after about a week it would come back. I pretty much had constant violent coughing for about 4 or 5 months. I got to the point where I would cough violently, then have to use an inhaler because I would begin to wheeze and struggle for air. This progressively became more frequent, so my doctor put my on Advair for 1 month to get the inflammation from my lungs. Since then, I haven't needed to use my inhaler, but was told I had very mild asthma after a Pulmonary Function Test. My question is: I have not coughed since mid-March, and haven't used my inhaler. But, about 5 nights a week, I get a rattle in one of my lungs. After coughing up some phlegm, I am fine the rest of the day. It always occurs around 7 or 8 at night???? I also feel like many times taking a deep breath is difficult. I know my lungs aren't fully healed, but is this all normal??? How long should this take to heal ??? I'm a pretty healthy, 24 yr old female- very active, run 15 miles+ per week and don't smoke or drink (I used to smoke though very lightly for several years).
Anyone else had similar experiences????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 7th, 2010
I have had bronchitis for about 4 weeks. It seems to get better but then at night I feel it again. I'm thinking that the fires in the mountains have created some of this but not sure. No antibiotics as I'm trying to avoid them. Nothing but musinex, hot lemon, cheyanne pepper, homemade soup and it has lessoned but it's very strange that it has lasted this long...any insights?
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
I am having a similar experience now, two episodes of bronchitis in the last 5 months with a constant cough that sometimes goes dow to a "tickle" but then comes back and attacks. I finished a second round of antibiotics and the "tickles" and coughing fits are still hanging around. When I do deep breathing I even have a little pain in the rib cage. I would be curious from the person who posted this blog what ever ended up happening, does it go away?
|

replied May 26th, 2011
lingering bronchitis cough
Like Mister32, I have a persistent cough that comes and goes. I was diagnosed first with a sinus infection (Feb)and then with bronchitis (Apr). I have had three rounds of antibiotics since February plus a month of corticosteroid. I can't take deep breathes (and thus no vigorous exercise) without chest pressure and dry coughing. I am better than I was in mid-April, but still not well. I see the doctor again tomorrow for my fourth visit. I'll let you know what happens next.
|

replied November 25th, 2012
I have had this bronchitis now for a few months just cannot shake it of . Can anyone tell me how long does it last

Many thanks Mick
|