Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Severe back pain with burning sensation down right leg

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
For the last 3 months I have been having lower back pain and a burning sensation that starts in my right butt cheek, down the back of my thigh, calf and into my foot! It is getting progressively worse with time! I did a cervical and lumbar MRI, which has shown a 7.44 mm disc herniation and I just found out that at some point I broke my tail bone. Anyway...long story short, I went to a Neurologist, who did a nerve conductive test, everything came back normal, then went to Ortho surgeon, who told me he had no idea what the problem could be. I was then referred to a pain management doctor, who said I have neuropathy/Sciatica and gave me a epidural cortisone injection in her office, that worked for about 2 days and I'm still in pain and it's still burning! HELP!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper myopracticworks
|

replied January 7th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
The good news is that the epidural showed your pain can be relieved. Also your nerve conductive test shows there is no nerve impingement. But if you do not take positive action, this could become a problem.

At what level is the disc herniation?

If your symptoms are being caused by the disc, then it is bulging to the right and hitting the sciatic nerve. Sciatica can also be muscular and not disc. Here is one test to find out:

1) Lie on your back on the floor.
2) Lift your head and shoulders off the ground and look at your toes.
3) Without bending your knee, slowly lift your right leg about 3 feet / 30 degrees off the ground.

If this increases your symptoms, it is disc related.
If this does NOT increase your symptoms, it is probably muscular.

Each treatment is different so if you will please try this (or at least let me know you are here and still checking back in) I can suggest different types of therapy.
|
Users who thank myopracticworks for this post: rdegirl 

replied April 25th, 2012
Thank you so much responding and sorry it took me so long to repy! I'm truly at my wits end! I ended up having a microdecompression and it relieved my back pain, but I'm still having severe nerve pain and it's getting worse!

My disc herniation was at L5, S1.

I just tried the exercise and it did not increase the pain, so I guess it's muscular!

Any suggestions you have would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
|

replied April 26th, 2012
As you still have a severe injury, proceed with caution. Actually this is a good time to figure out the problem. When you hit the right spot you will get more pain or some relief. I am not allowed to post direct link.

Your hip flexor is tight. This will compress your lower back as well as give you hip issues. Even healthy people need to do this once a week for ONE HALF HOUR per LEG! Could be also one side is tighter than the other so check for that.
1) "Progressive groin stretch" (Do a Google search)

Your piriformis muscle is tight:
2) "[PDF] Seated Hip Stretch" (Do a Google search for the one by "motionwise"

Also check on your own to see if one leg turns OUTWARDS easier than the other. If so, you will find the other leg does not turn INWARDS as well as the other.

Your hamstring is tight. Again, check to see if one leg is tighter than the other.
3) "lie on back hamstring stretch with strap" (Do a Google search)

Depending on how these work, if you are motivated, I can give you 3 more. There IS some trial and error. Also what works today may not work tomorrow and you will need / respond to another exercise.
|
Users who thank myopracticworks for this post: stargazer_1 

replied April 29th, 2012
Thank you so much! I'm going to google all these stretches and try them in the morning! I'll keep you posted on how they work and go from there!
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
The Seated Hip Stretch seems to bring the most relief! Are there any other exercises/stretches you can recommend to loosen up my piriformis muscle? Let me know. Thanks so much!
|

replied May 8th, 2012
Good News!
Here are 5 more. See what works for you.

1) "Assisted hip lift" (Do a Google search)
2) "Bird dip exercise" (Do a Google search)
- The leg in the air stays in a straight line with your torso.
- Standing leg is ~ straight.
- Hold onto something for balance if needed.
3) "Internal and External Rotation of the Hips with the E Cise of the Week" (On Youtube)
4) "Counter Stretch E-cise. (Do a Google search)
- You may have better results by strongly pointing your toes in ( Pigeon Toed) while bending forwards.
5) "Inner Outer thighs e-cise". (Do a Google search)
|

replied May 26th, 2012
back pain
really this information is very good . Thank you so much for this info . sorry for big mail

when i tried below method then my symptom not increase .
1) Lie on your back on the floor.
2) Lift your head and shoulders off the ground and look at your toes.
3) Without bending your knee, slowly lift your right leg about 3 feet / 30 degrees off the ground

but when i do below i feel pain in my left back and it goes up to left foot below knee .please suggest what is the problem ..my MRI report shows that "there are an Annular Fissure with Posterocentral protrusion of the partially desiccated L5-S1 Disc indenting the Bilateral traversing SI nerve roots."

[1] stand straight .
[2] pull my left leg (like i am wearing trouser)
[3] then move it clock or anti clock wise
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Quote:
[2] pull my left leg (like i am wearing trouser

Is your lower back rounded when you bend forward to pull on the leg?
Do you have the same symptoms when your try the right leg?
Quote:
please suggest what is the problem .

As your MRI says the disc is bulging towards the rear, it would make sense that bending forward INCREASES the bulging so you are putting pressure on the nerve.

Are you doing anything now for the problem?
|

replied May 27th, 2012
No from right leg i dont have same symptoms , only thing when i walk so much then my pain sifted to right waist sometimes . i am showing to ortho spine surgon .
he suggested to take Gabantin for weeks . i took it for 2 weeks so my back nerve pain reduced but there is buring sensation on my both left and right thigh .he told me to for blood test (for Arthritis )

please suggest any exercise or tretment if some one facing same problem
|

replied May 29th, 2012
Quote:
please suggest any exercise
My guess is that you could benefit from getting an arch into your lower back:
1) "Static extension on elbows" (Do a Google search)
Engage your inner thigh muscles with the
2) "SEATED PILLOW SQUEEZE E-CISE" (Do a Google search)
NEXT
3) "SEATED ABDUCTOR PRESS" Part I
a) Sit at the edge of a low step so your thighs are parallel to the ground.
b) Wrap a belt or Yoga strap around your thighs just ABOVE your knees.
c) Press outwards against the strap for 2 seconds. Repeat 20 times.
- As you press outwards, let your hips rotate forwards, putting an arch into your lower back.
- IMPORTANT: Let your abs relax so your hips can rotate forwards. Do the same thing when you are putting on your pants and this could help that pain too.

Quote:
when i walk so much then my pain sifted to right waist sometimes

Your spine could be shifted to one side because one hip is tighter than the other.
To stretch your hips:
4a) "Kneeling lunge stretch" (Do a Google search)
4b) "STANDING LUNGE STRETCH (Do a Google search)
- Front leg up on a step of chair will give a better front-of-hip stretch.

You will probably find one hip is tighter than the other.

Here are some MOBILITY exercises that may help:
5) HAND LEG OPPOSITE GLIDES:
a) Lie face down on the floor with arms extended straight overhead.
b) Let your ankles drop out to the sides so your feet are pigeon-toed.
c) Reach UP with the LEFT ARM and DOWN with the RIGHT LEG.
d) Now switch and reach UP with the RIGHT ARM and DOWN with the LEFT LEG.

6) "STANDING WINDMILL" (Do a Google search)
a) First shift your torso to the side, THEN bend to that side.
b) Bend left / right with your feet at 3 different widths: shoulder width -then wider -then wider still.

7) "YOGA TRIANGLE POSE" (Do a Google search)
- Against the wall, NOT free standing!
- Keep both hips at the wall - one may try to lift off the wall.

Let me know how these work for you.
|