Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Severe Allergy to Honey (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
hey. im a 20 year old female. i have alot of allergies to plants, especially lavender, or stronger plants like that. i am extremely allergic to grass and hay. when im around them, i cant breathe and my eyes feel like they're on fire. when i was younger i remember eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches, which are the best. they only would give me a little stomach ache. but now, every time i eat honey, i get horrible symptoms. i don't get symptoms like itchy skin, runny eyes, sore throat. i get dizziness, heart palpitations, loss of eyesight, light headed, and bad stomach pain. i also get headaches. my parents thought it might be from where i got the honey from. but ive tried tons of honeys from alot of areas and i still get this reaction everevery time this common? ive heard of people getting sore throats, but never symptoms as severe as mine. which sucks about this all, this that chewing on beeswax is supposed to be beneficial for people who have allergies. i cant even chew it!!! and even in minuscule amounts, it has this effect. the smallest symtpom being a throbbing headache. is this an allergy or an intolerance? does anyone else have this problem?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper narusayshi
|

replied May 24th, 2009
Allery to honney
I am suspecting that I am allergic to honey, can this be? I am a 41 year old female.
As a chid I suffered for hay fewer and was allergic to grass pollen sheep wool and horses. I �¢??outgrew�¢?? most of these reactions

Lately I am experiencing difficulty in breathing and sinus problems, after a few hours consuming honey.

This honey comes from a specific area. I have used honey before (about 8 months previously) and never encounter this problem before. Could it be that one can be allergic to honey of specific areas?

Regards X
|

replied June 8th, 2009
my daughter is also allergic to honey even if she touches it a little she quickly developes swelling of the lips tongue throat difficulty breathing then she'll start to pass out if nothing like epipen and benadryll have been administered.in our family it is genetic some how. not sure why but all of us have anaphylactic reactions [most of us have alot of triggers including foods meds plants stings and airborn triggers. weird yet very scary and frustrating as some of us have little we can eat.but as a caution, watch out for bees if youre allergic to honey and i have been told by our allergist that a honey allergy can have to do with which plants the honey was gathered from if say youre allergic to clover and you avoid clover honey as a caution you cannot be sure always that the bees used to gather from the mesquite trees didnt have a little that gathered from theclover. or if youre allergic to citrus some clover honer can stil have the pollen from other flowers of nearby plants. my dr said its best to avoid all honeybecause you just cant be sure.
also i just recently learned that there might be a condition that makes some of us allergic to alot of things. and strangly enough its not a true allergic reaction although its still treated with epipens and antihistamines. not sure if its what i have or not but i found it on the mayo clinic site. one is mastocytosis the other is angioedema.for you with alot of allergies or several severe allergies take a look.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
I am so glad to have seen this. I have been severely allergic to honey my entire life. My lips and tongue swell, and it starts to shut my airway. I am 45 and I have never come across anyone else who is allergic to honey. I also have a severe allergy to bees. I do suspect that there are some honey's that do not bother me, but I am not about to experiment. I think it might have something to do with the type of pollen in the area- but not sure. It is a horrible allergy to have, because honey is in so many things. To all of you on this that have minor reactions, if they include any swelling of the mouth, lips or throat, stay away from honey entirely, because it can become a severe reaction, and it can be life threatening. Its nice to know there are other people that have this allergy as well!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 24th, 2009
I am a 32 year old woman. I have allergies to honey
since I've been a teenager. I break out in hives when
it touches my skin and my mouth and lips become
itchy when I eat it. I have two dogs and I can't buy
dog treats with honey because they make my hands
break out in hives if I touch them. I've had nurses
tell me that it's impossible to be allergic to honey...
but I know I am.
|

replied October 24th, 2009
Severe Allergy to Honey and Bananas
Hi people. Just found your blog site.
I am severely allergic to Honey (and Bananas).
If I eat a teaspoon of Honey or a Banana tonight - I will awaken tomorrow sneezing all day. My nose will run constantly all day and I will end up with a severe Chest Cold for at least a fortnight (and up to 6 weeks). How crazy is that !!!! Have known this since I was 20 y.o. (for the past 32 years).
|

replied October 29th, 2009
And I thought I was the only one allergic to honey and banana's. People thought I was crazy. My reaction isn't severe, more annoying really, but still enough to make me avoid both foods. I have an addition to that odd pair. Pistachio's. I have yet to understand what the three have in common which I would be allergic to.
|

replied May 24th, 2012
I am alergic to honey, so it seems, and I have stomach pain after eating it. I used to have the same stomach pain after eating bananas, but now I can eat bananas again with no problem. Timeline: I ate large amounts of bananas when I was 14 - 16, then I noticed stomach pain when about 17 and stopped eating bananas. Now, at age 35 I picked up a banana, had some and was ok, so I had some more and more and now I eat bunches of bananas and there is no problem. But, I still have stomach pain after honey..
|

replied November 28th, 2009
Honey allergies
I react to honey too - just the same as Bosbok's post above. I am also a 41 year old female, who has not been able to tolerate honey for about 20 years. It doesn't matter if it's raw or pasturised, local or imported, and I get the same symptoms from propolis and beeswax, even in lipbalm: dry, aggravated throat, upper chest cough and constrictions similar to mild asthma (which I had once, for a year), and excess mucous in my sinuses. Every now and then, I get hungry for a couple of my partner's muesli bars (delish!) and that's enough to overdo it - as well as the above symptoms, I feel feverish, achy all over and have a headache in the morning, like a hangover! Reading all of the posts and clarifying my own experience strengthens my resolve to avoid honey and feel well! Kia ora from Aotearoa New Zealand.
|

replied February 8th, 2010
Severe honey allergy
I am a 35 year old female with a severe allergy to honey. For 4 months I had severe hives and angioedema and I was getting worse and worse and feeling very ill. I was seeing an allergist who was perplexed with my case. We tried to eliminate everything. I ended up in the ER with an anaphylactic reaction. Heavily medicated, I was sick and frustrated with no answers. One day it came to me, that I put honey in my coffee every morning and I eliminated it. I was better almost instantly. One day at work, I had a graham cracker, not even thinking about the honey in it, within an hour I had severe hives and angioedema (my face swelled and my lips swelled up). I am now very careful because many things, like wheat bread for instance, have honey very often. I have an epi pen at all times, but often wonder if I will be allergic to a bee sting now.
|

replied February 10th, 2010
im 24 and have been allergic to honey for as long as i can remember.. the smell alone causes me to wretch, and feel dizzy/like i cant breathe.. if i eat even a very small amount my stomach bloats up insanely quickly and very big, i itch all over, my throat feels tight, my fingers swell up and stiffen, i get a dizzy headachey feeling behind my eyes (i also get that with raw ginger) and i start wretching/vomitting sometimes very severe.. last time i had a very red rash aswell and the swelling on my right hand where i touched the honey was more severe.. i avoid all honey because the reaction will make me unwell for days, and the pain is very bad.. when i was younger i thought it was a food phobia as i reacted with such fear to even a pot of honey.. but i think its now because my family used to think i was just being fussy so used to hide it in my food and then tell me (almost straight away.. when i was feeling sick and trying not to make a fuss) that it was in there.. then id start being sick.. but having lately had honey in things i would of had no clue they would be in (mayonnaise for one) and still having an extremely severe reaction that it is an allergy..

i have a lot of allergys to very random things.. i take citirizine every day.. and the drs were talkin about giving me an epi pen after my last anaphalaxis was quite bad..
|

replied February 14th, 2010
Does this happen to anyone else?
I am a 38 yr old woman who used to eat honey but became allergic 10 yrs ago after eating a honey sandwich! Obviously I didnt realise at the time but after having the reaction again and then again getting more severe I stopped eating honey.
My symtoms to begin with were strong stomach pains and fever, then over time these got stronger.
After a couple of years of avoiding honey the best I can, because its not easy when you dont always know the ingredients in food when you eat out, I had a curry in a restaurant last nite and without realising there was honey in it I had the mango chutney on my poppadoms. My reaction was quite different this time, blurred vision, very cold to start then very quickly developing shock symptoms. My partner was scared but put another jacket over me and put the heating on full blast as we were in the car at the time. The cold passed but I have been up all night with a sore tummy.
Watch out for those hidden ingredients!
|

replied January 17th, 2012
oh my gosh. someone help me. I went to a honey farm yesterday and had a taste of honey ( i dont like it much) and now my stomach hurts really bad. it been 2 days now. about an hour after i ate the honey i have had terrible stomach pains. so i see your symtoms or some of your symtoms are just like mine. It hurts my stomach with pains and i cant stand the smell. My mom says its not possible to be alergic to honey but i think so. Because i was fine all day till i walked into that place and smelled the air and ate honey. I am only 14 and i want this to stop hurting me. If you know anything that can help please tell me. sad2
|

replied February 24th, 2010
honey allergy
I'm 41 y.o. woman and just as of 2 weeks ago I developed really strange symptoms : stomach pain, bloating, gases, vertigo. After analyzing what I've been eating, I realized that I used honey in my tea, instead of sugar, for couple of weeks. The day I've stop using honey, my symptoms disappear. But I still have pain and aches in my joints and muscles, which I think related to my allergy to honey.
|

replied June 16th, 2010
I too have found Honey to cause me to get headaches. It took a long time to determine this as I have always seemed to get periodic headaches. Finally (45 years) connected the honey as the common culprit when I was recently waking up in the middle of the night with a pounding headache after having a bit of ice cream with honey on top. (I still eat the ice cream, no problems.) NO other symptoms as I can tell, no stomach ache, no swelling, no asthma, no rashes, etc. After avoiding the concentrated honey, Lo-and-behold, headaches mostly gone. Other triggers are still there for headaches(stress, not enough sleep, etc), but life is much better. I miss honey, but not that much......
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Honey Allergy
I am a 31 year old woman and have a severe honey allergy. After reading the above posts I think that my allergy may have existed in the form of headaches dating back 20 years. About 15 years ago I had a severe allergic reaction after eating honey chicken. My airways closed rapidly, I struggled to breathe and my face was so swollen that my eyes would almost not open. I passed out in the doctors surgery shortly after arriving at the medical centre or hospital (it was all a blur). At the time I limited the allergic reaction down to a few things, and an allergy test indicated various other mild allergies I had, but through the years I went on to suffer other allergic reactions, and honey is the only common factor. Just last week I was suffering from an allergic reaction for the first time in a couple of years, again my breathing was affected, and I have worked out that it was triggered by a shower gel and hand soap that I had just started using, both of which had honey as an ingredient. I threw out both and I am now fine again. Will definitely be checking ingredients in the future.
|

replied September 30th, 2010
Pollen in honey cause of daughter's honey allergy
My daughter was diagnosed by an allergist with a honey allergy last year after she broke out in hives all over her body after eating a honey corndog. The allergist determined that it's most likely the pollen in the honey that she is allergic to. He did the skin prick test on her with 3 pure honeys and no reaction. Honey can be contaminated with pollen and it seems the poorer the quality of honey as in those used in processed food, the more likely it contains higher amounts of pollen. We now carry an epi pen every where we go. I am frustrated that honey is not part of the FDA legislation which requires labeling of many food allergens except for honey!!
|

replied October 2nd, 2010
Theory behind allergic reaction to Honey/Tea combination.
I am so glad I found these posts. I drink a lot of tea, and on occasion, while drinking, I would feel my throat instantly become sore and raw, my nose would start to run, asthma-like symptoms developed, and it would seems like an instant cold had developed in mere seconds/minutes.

I noticed that this only happened while drinking tea with a drop of honey in it. However, I can eat honey in salad-dressings, or on desserts just fine. Even honey that I heat up in the microwave for a few seconds causes no problems at all.

So, for years I've been convinced that I was allergic to the combination of tea with honey. But, people have always looked at me as if I was crazy.

But, while reading these posts, suddenly it started making sense. Here's my theory:

I know that I have a mild allergy to pollen.
Sometimes, honey can contain pollen.
But, the pollen-particles, if they are there, are usually encapsulated, or bound to, the wax-particles in most honeys.
So, if the honey retains it's normal state, the pollen-particles are contained enough, and don't affect my throat or lungs.
But, when put in hot tea, the wax-particles dissolve and disperse the pollen-particles,
So, while drinking, the pollen come into contact with the throat, triggering the allergic reaction. (sneezing, mucus)
Additionally, since the pollen now freely roam, they also travel into the lungs by breathing, causing asthmatic symptoms.
Both reactions have my allergy to pollen as it's basis.
So, in my case it's not the honey, but the pollen which can sometimes be contained within the honey.

Even though I've always known that my reaction to tea with honey is real, it an incredible relief to now suddenly understand (in theory) the underlying process.

So, thank you to all the previous posters, this has made a difference in my life.
|

replied October 2nd, 2010
Wow, I'm really glad I found this site!

I had a anaphylactic reaction last night and believe honey (possibly because it was in my tea) to be the cause. I have a lot of allergies, almost to everythng but never noticed a problem with honey until now. I even ate honey toast from that same jar a few days ago with no problems. Last night I made myself a cup of tea and saw the honey sitting on the counter, while I was waiting for the tea to seep I had a spoonful of honey and then added one to the tea.

I didn't get past 3 sips before the swelling began, started at my lips and spread to my sinuses, eyes, nose, throat, my entire face was swollen like a balloon within 5 minutes. I had trouble breathing, my sinuses and throat were full mucus and swollen and itchy, my lungs felt tight and was wheezing, and my throat and esophagus all the way to my stomach were burning and probably swollen as well, they felt tender. My stomach & intestines became bloated, I even felt sick to my stomach and feverish.

That was last night, about 9 hours ago and I still don't feel good this morning as my eyes, sinuses and throat are still a little swollen and itchy.

Thanks to everyone who posted here, especially Chocomel, I wasn't sure it was the honey until I found this site. I will never eat honey again!!!
|

replied October 5th, 2010
I have get hives on my face only, I found out it is because I wash my face with a lot of hot water every morning when I shower I also wash my hair.
For the last two days I avoided the water from my face
I was surprised didn't have the bumpy hives on my face and the once I had before are drying out. I hope some one will tell me if it is the water which causes the hives.

The other thing is I eat more than 2-3 spoon full of honey every day.
|

replied October 28th, 2010
Honey Allergy?
I just went to the doctor yesterday for ongoing and worsening shortness of breath. She is having me go for numerous expensive and time-consuming tests (which will put my mind at ease--and thank goodness I have good insurance. But I have noticed that my throat feels different after drinking organic green tea with organic raw honey. For 24 hours I've drunk the tea without the honey...and I'm feeling great. Can take deep breaths again. Thanks for all the other responses!!!
|

replied December 13th, 2010
Raw Honey allergy due to bee sting allergy?
As a child I was not allergic to honey (loved it)and then started developing the allergy as a teenager and it got worse. I am not allergic to pollen or anything else. I am 46 & now can eat a little raw honey (honey in stuff doesn't bother me), but if I eat too much or two days in a row I get an anaphylactic reaction. Finally figured out that the allery started after I was stung by a bee when I was 13. May be allergic to bee stings but have never been stung again nor tested so not sure.
|

replied March 9th, 2011
I'm a 24 year old female, and I've been allergic to honey since I was about 10 years old. I can't stand to be near it, even the smell of it makes me dizzy. When I consume honey, my throat and tongue become itchy/numb, and I begin to become feverish. I usually have severe nausea followed by vomiting. For as long as I can remember, people have told me that it's impossible to be allergic to honey. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
|

replied June 5th, 2011
I'm a 33 year old female. I've been allergic to honey my entire life. When i was younger, if i had it i would get nauseaus and vomit. Smelling it made me feel very dizzy, but if it was cooked i could eat it. Now,i cant have it in any way. I either swell up and get very dizzy if its a small amount of honey. But if its in its raw state, i go into anaphalactic shock. In fatc, last year i became paralyzed from the waist down for several hours after eating chicken that was glazed with honey. All my life i was told that there is no such thing as a honey allergy, so I am so happy to have found this site and this blog. Its good to know that i am not the only one!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply