Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Severe abdominal pain post kidney transplant

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
My wife gave a kidney 7 months ago and the kidney is working perfectly. However, I have been in severe pain since the surgery. I was getting slowly better for 10 weeks (walking over two miles, never pain free, never comfortably able to wear pants or a waist band) , but then things started getting worse and after a couple weeks I was back on pain meds, sitting in a lazy-boy all day long unable to work.

I have a triangle of pain from my navel over to the top of the incision scar, down the length of the incision and up to the navel. It is a deep pain; not on the skin. The slightest touch such as pants or a shirt laying on my belly can be excruciating. I walk around hunched over. I cannot lift much. Usually I cannot stand for more than a few minutes before the pain becomes too much.

The nephrology team the biggest transplant center in the US had never seen this. The surgeon, who says he does 160 x-plants a year, is stumped. I have seen pain management docs and they seem to think it is adhesions, but they don't know exactly where and there is no way to fix them. They have tried local anesthetics, steroids, and botox. A TENS unit and electro-stimulator implants are next.

If you know of anyone who has suffered similar symptoms of have read about this on another site, I would be grateful to have a path to follow.
Did you find this post helpful?
|