Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Sever pain in lower back/abdomen after Laparoscopic Surgery?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I need some help figuring out what is causing intense pain in my lower back/abdominal area. I’ll give a brief rundown of my medical history….

In November 2010 I was taken to the ER with severe abdominal pain. While in the ER the doctors informed me the pain was caused by a Kidney Stone being passed. I was also told that there were a few more kidney stones, that they may or may not every be passed (to this day I still have Kidney Stones). Sometime in the next month I was again admitted to the ER with severe abdominal pain. I knew exactly what it was, having passed a kidney stone before. More tests were done, and before leaving the hospital that day I was told I had passed another kidney stone, and that the doctors also discovered a Cyst that had formed on my left Ovary.

A week later I found myself visiting with an OBGYN discussing options for treatment. Other than just “living with it” and hoping the cyst does affect me, surgery was the only other option presented to me. Since I already live with IBS-A, which causes a considerable about of pain and an overall feeling of being run down I knew I did not want to add to that. So surgery it was.

At the end of October 2011 I underwent surgery to remove the cyst found almost a year earlier. The cyst had grown quite large and was taking a toll on my daily life. The OBGYN was able to remove the cyst through laparoscopic surgery.

Here is what I need help with….

Two weeks after the surgery I returned for a check-up. My doctor informed me that the cyst that had formed was an endometrial cyst, and that I in fact, had Endometriosis. So to date, I have been diagnosed with Endometriosis, IBS-A and Kidney Stones. Here is the problem I am now having.... About six weeks after surgery I returned to work. This involves a bit of walking, which is when I first noticed the pain. It seemed like as the day went on and the more I moved around I started to notice a pain on my left side. It should be noted that I have never felt this type of pain before and I do not recognize it as being symptoms of Kidney Stones, Endometriosis, or IBS. The pain mostly comes when I am doing some sort of physical activity, like walking, cleaning, sometimes even just standing up. The pain comes on immediately and with no warning. It feels like I am getting stabbed in the back on my left side, but the pain radiates out, I feel it in my lower back, abdomen, sometimes even higher on my back. I get the feeling like I can’t breathe and I am about to pass out all at the same time. The pain normally only lasts 10-30 seconds, and with stopping what I am doing, relaxing and breathing, I can normally get the pain to subside. This had been going on for a few months, but over the past month it has become much more frequent, and more intense. I still have very limited physical activity for fear of the pain.

In February 2012 I was taken to the ER for extreme abdominal pain. Until that day I was able to get the pain to go away. On that date I could not get the pain to subside. I stopped walking, moving, tried to breath, relax, and nothing worked. After calling my doctor I was told that I needed to be taken to the ER as it sounded like there was something wrong with my Kidneys. The hospital did multiple tests, blood, urine, EKG, and a cat scan. Nothing was found to be wrong. I was released from the hospital that day.

A few days later my OBGYN called me back with test results from my second check-up. A small Cyst was found on my Left Ovary. MY OBGYN informed me that it was still quite small and he did not think it would be causing the pain I am feeling.

Does anyone know what this might be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

I understand you to be troubled by your current and previous medical issues.

Your recent onset of abdominal pain, after the laparoscopic surgery, could be due to formation of adhesions or fibrotic bands within the abdominal cavity. These are a complication that can possibly occur after laparascopic treatment for conditions like endometrosis.

These adhesions will seriously interfere with normal functions of organs in the pelvis, causing bowel obstructions, digestive problems, infertility, urinary problems, agonizing pains when the adhesions are pulled, mobility problems.

Such adhesions are soft tissues and can be missed by imaging studies like CT scans.

Hence you may consult with your doctors, who can examine you and do a MRI, which may give proper detailed images of soft tissues, and hence give a proper diagnosis.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.