Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

SERIOUS MONO SYMPTOMS~GETTING WORSE~COULD IT BE MORE SERIOUS

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
My daughter has been diagnosised w/ mono 5 weeks ago, there has been no improvement in her symptoms, if anything she has gotten worse. she continues to have a fever, sleeps 19 hours a day, cannot eat (she has lost 14 lbs. she is now 95lbs. and is 5'5"), when she stands up she feels faint, her head is in a fog (she says she cannot focus), a new symptom just poped up; she has a very deep cough which produces a dark, thick, yellow phlem which has a terrible odor to it. she says her chest is hurting, she states she thinks she is having a heart attach at times, her back is killing her.

please someone tell me are these new symptoms something to be concerned with. i have taken her to the er 3 times, the doctors 2 times. and the same addvice is given. let the virus take it's course. as a mother i just feel like something is terribly wrong, i am not one to over react, but i know my child and she is deathly sick.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 24th, 2009
I believe it is just the mono.
I may would be concerned about the congestion and sputum. I had mono back 4 years ago. Let me tell you I had it for 1-1/2 years. I thought I would never get rid of it. I got a lot worse before I ever got better. I couldn't do anything. I slept all the time and if I wasn't sleeping I was too weak to get up. I felt like I would pass out when I got up too. I never had a cough though. So I don't know about that. If the doctors think it is the mono then maybe so. I hope this stuff gets out of her system soon. BTW take plenty of vitamin C and vitamin B complex.
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2009
please get her help
It sounds to me like she has pnuemonia. I only say that because I have had a horrible case of pnuemonia before, and I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks....it was very scary. This could have started out with mono, but now it sounds like something else. If a person is in a weakened condition from another illness, a severe pneumonia can develop. I don't want to scare you, but you do not want to mess around with this. Pneumonia can be a serious and life-threatening infection..Pnuemonia can cause serious dehydration. Please find a different doctor who will take this seriuosly and hydrate her. She needs IV hydration. By the time I have posted this, hopefully she will be treated. You absolutely have a reason to be concerned. Please get help now!!!
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
keep close watch on her
i have mono right now and mine was very sever in the beging. When i got the the respitory part it was very bad i had breathing attacks. were it was hard to breath at times.especially after a shower. hot water constrics the body dont let her take a bath. what you want to do is prop her up so she is not lying down flat on here back. make sure to keep her warm if she has a fever. give her plenty of water and and kind of cranberry juice, there is also a kind of craberry concentract out there very good for the body. tho it tastes very bitter. and if your sick enough it may actualy taste good which is a sign that her body needs it. try giving her mucinex. not mucinex dm. that can cause naesea and vomiting. these are just some tips and things i picked up with my experiences with mono. and try to ask your doctor for weekly check ups for her. that is all i can offer for you hope things get better for you.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Try using Emergen-C. Its a powder that you mix in 8 oz of water and it delevers 1000mg of vitamin C which the body needs. It's a little expensive and it wont cure her but it will help. It has helped all 3 times that I have had mono.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Mono
Well i have mono right now, my throat kills me,
i havent ate in 4 days,
ive had it for about a week now ,
right now i feel great
i just cant swallow,
anyy more tips?
|

replied August 21st, 2009
i have mono right now too, i cant swallow either and my doctor put me on a steroid today! i feel like crap. i want mono to end sooooo bad. i am so sad that im ruining day afte day doing nothing that i even started crying today but it hurt to cry.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
i have mono rite now also. i feel terrible i cant go to class ive been there twice in the las 4 weeks and wasnt even whole days. my body aches day after day ive been had the sore throat and my spleen has swelled and its real bad and now im getting a horrible cough and my lungs hurt and im having shortness of breathe with it and i think im going into the hospital to get checked out do the same with your daughter.
|