Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

septoplasty for migraines

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hello
I have had constant migraines 24 7 for a year.I have seen 3 Neurologist with no help.I have been given different meds to try but couldn't take them because of the side effects.I was also sent to hospital to have DHE45 IV with no help.I am at the end of my rope.
My question is: Do you think that septoplasty would be right for me to try.My migraines are like pressure in my head all the time and nose is either blocked or I get post nasal drip.I have had x-rays and other scans and I am told there is nothing wrong with my sinuses.Could they be missing something?
Thank you
birdlady
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank birdlady for this post: SUFFERINGGIRL 

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Septoplasty is performed for deviated nasal septum, that can be a reason for a case of blocked nose.
Hope you were examined for other causes for blocked nose as nasal polyps, blockages at the back of the nose, and chronic allergies.
Deviated or irregular nasal septum, can lead to increased, thin nasal secretions, resulting in experience of postnasal drip.
You have predisposing factors for developing sinus headache, but without positive exams results, is impossible.
You are probably having migraine headache, that is very often misdiagnosed as a sinus headache (9 in 10 people with symptoms of sinus headache, in fact suffer from migraine).

You can talk with your neurologist about transformed migraine, a daily migraine, that happens in a migraine sufferer with a history of medication overuse.

Septoplasty may provide a relief of your headaches, but, your migraines may continue.
There is no guarantee that your migraine will respond to surgery.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied May 25th, 2009
septoplasty & migraine
Hi,

I am a fellow migraine sufferer. I had migraines often (about 20 per month). The migraines increased to daily for several years. My neurologist finally suggested that I completely eliminate caffiene from my diet. It took several months to get any relief because using drugs like initrex was out of the question too. They have a similar mechanism of action as caffiene. 1 & 1/2 years later, I only have menstrual headaches. It just so happens I am also scheduled to have septoplasty with turbinate cobilation in July 2009. I am doing this because I also thought that my sinus issues could help relieve my migraines. I hope this information helps.
|