Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

septate hymen ?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Ok. so I was following the advice of a website, attempting to stretch my hymen a few weeks before my wedding. (I'm a virgin.)

I couldnt get more than one finger in and i found a band of skin that upon researching decided it was a septate hymen.

i was never able to use tampons- they always got stuck on the band of skin (which i had no idea at the time was abnormal).

I'm just wondering if there is a way to know for sure that this is what it is without seeing a doctor.
i mean, it couldn't be anything else right???
help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Aussie_gal
|

replied September 12th, 2008
yes I had the exact same thing up until a few years ago. i was able to use tampons but always had a very hard time getting them out. i wasnt even aware that it wasnt normal until i was 17. i tried doing research on it but didnt find much.
im not sure id recommend doing what i did, but one day i decided to take care of it myself. i found a pair of surgical scissors and sterilized them, and cut it. it was pretty thick and it bled alot, and took a long time to heal. i wound up having to tell my mother and she made me go to the gyno, who was actually impressed with my work! lol. he confirmed that yes it was a septated hymen. took a few weeks but it healed up fine.
theres no way youre gonna be able to stretch it out- it needs to be cut. so either do it urself very carefully or let the gyno take care of it
|
Users who thank CrissCross for this post: reallyscared89 

replied September 13th, 2008
CrissCross wrote:
yes I had the exact same thing up until a few years ago. i was able to use tampons but always had a very hard time getting them out. i wasnt even aware that it wasnt normal until i was 17. i tried doing research on it but didnt find much.
im not sure id recommend doing what i did, but one day i decided to take care of it myself. i found a pair of surgical scissors and sterilized them, and cut it. it was pretty thick and it bled alot, and took a long time to heal. i wound up having to tell my mother and she made me go to the gyno, who was actually impressed with my work! lol. he confirmed that yes it was a septated hymen. took a few weeks but it healed up fine.
theres no way youre gonna be able to stretch it out- it needs to be cut. so either do it urself very carefully or let the gyno take care of it

I actually did cut it myself... i was a bit embarrassed to say so. so u healed up nicely?
that's my main concern...
i'm afraid of an infection.
|

replied September 13th, 2008
yeah it healed up.it doesnt look totally normal but then again what is normal.
were u sterile about it? if so keep the area clean and let it heal. but if ur concerned about it u should check with the gyno to be sure.
nothign to be embarrassed about. theyve seen much worse im sure.
|

replied February 21st, 2009
Septate Hymen
I have this too! My gyno actually thought I had two vaginas. She asked if i wanted to have it cut and i was scared at the time but now i really want it gone. When i put in tampons, they get stuck behind the thick band of skin.

I do have a question though, did it ever make you itch when it tore a little or did it look like a pink sponge at the top ever? I was freaking out before trying to look at what it was.

thank you!
|

replied July 21st, 2010
I wouldn't even put this in the category of "they've seen much worse." Trust me, any gynecologist worth seeing will be very helpful.
My own was quite thick and tender and it was VERY painful the first time I had sex. And there was so much blood. Not fun, not sexy, not romantic. Well, at least THAT part wasn't fun, sexy or romantic. Other parts were entirely wonderful.
I really support your decision to stay a virgin until you are married, but I would at least talk to your fiance about this, since he may be faced with something more than he is prepared to deal with on your wedding night.
Believe me when I say that there is a lot more to being a virgin than an intact hymen, especially a difficult one.
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Septate Hymen?
Okay, so, I believe that I have a septate hymen, but I've never had any tampons get stuck on it. I actually recently lost my virginity, but my hymen didn't break. I couldn't figure out why I didn't feel pain or anything, so I used a mirror to check to see if it had broken or not. I'm bisexual, so I've had sex with girls, and I had sex with girls before I did with a guy. I figured that because I had sex with a girl, whatever could possibly break had been broken...buuuuuuuuuuuuut it hadn't been.
I've researched and researched to try to figure out what type of hymen I have. I'm planning on having sex again soon, but I'm kind of scared because I just have a feeling that this time it will break completely. I'm more afraid of it being extremely uncomfortable after sex than it breaking during sex. The first time I had sex, I felt a small singe of pain, and I was worried that he went too deep and was touching my cervix. After doing so much research, I've hopefully determined that it was my hymen, not something else.
I've read many different articles on the hymen breaking, but I'm not sure what to believe or what to think. I know that every woman is built differently, although made up of the same molecules; I know that every woman's hymen, or "vaginal corona," is different, so they experience different things when their hymen breaks, if it does at all.
I would ask my mother to take me to a gyno, but I wouldn't really feel comfortable asking her to. She had me when she was seventeen, so she and I fight like sisters, constantly. Because I'm sixteen, I feel like she'd think that I was following in her footsteps and not learning from her mistakes. I'm not really open about sex with my mother or step dad, father or step mom. I don't really know exactly who to turn to or where to go.
I'm also wondering how long I can't have sex after my hymen breaks, but I'm not sure there's really a set time for that, either.
I guess I'm just looking for some reassuring advice.
|

replied April 24th, 2011
septate hymen
I had a septate hymen and it didn't break when I had sex on numerous occasions. The time it broke was during uncomfortable drunken sex, luckily due to the alcohol I felt no pain but there was alot of blood. I'm personally waiting a week before I have sex next but everyone is different. Although just to warn you if your hymen does break it is quite likely it will only break at one end and therefore hang down. Not attractive but can't be helped.
|

replied May 3rd, 2012
Ive have a septate hymen and like many of you, first realised this during my first tampon removal occassion. U get used to making sure you pull the hymen to one side, but great piece of advice to all you girls is to try and get APPLICATOR TAMPONS!!! there the ones that have a plastic or cardvoard cylinder containing the tampon and u push it into ur vagina. U can tell the whole process if its sitting right or not and just adjust it. SOOOOOOOO much better then those short fat regular tampons bc they are SKINNY and a bit longer Smile so MUCH EASIER TO REMOVE Smile n the applicator helps prevent those nasty bloody fingers u get from the short fat ones that never sit right.

A note on intercourse: My septate hymen didnt actually break after i started having intercourse until one night i slept with a boy who was pretty massive. Sex had never been painful, my first time partner was well endowed as well but it was just geting use to the hymen stretch that u have to get use to. The Septate hymen centre tissue only broke as i mentioned about a year or two later when i noticed a lil blood after sex. This is nothing to worry about but as my hymen broke in the middle of the septate tissue i now have two small bits of tissue remining n the reason i joined this forum, to look into more information about it and the possibilities of surgery. it does nothing bad i just dont like them hanging around bc i know they r there n i dont like them.
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Sex without septate hymen breaking?
Hey ladies! I have a septate hymen as well. I am in my early 20's and thinking about having intercourse with a man for the first time. I masturbate (but not with toys) and use tampons. I really don't want my hymen to break even after I start to have sex. It sounds like a other peoples' didn't break until they had drunk sex or sex with a "massive" guy. Do you who've had septate hymens (or who have them now) think this is possible to not break it if I stretch it out and have a partner who isn't careless or massive?
|

replied June 12th, 2012
Septate hymen
I had the exact same problem - tampons got stuck. Went to more than one doctor who couldn't figure it out, it was quite embarrassing and very painful (I was about 14 at the time, I'm now 25). Eventually I went to a really good gyno and even she seemed to think it was quite rare. However, she did a brilliant operation, even under anesthetic I was still twitching from the pain apparently. Have had no problem with anything ever since - tampons, sex, nothing. However, would absolutely NOT recommend cutting yourself. This seems really dangerous and would be really hard to keep totally sterile, definitely not something I would muck around with.

Although it may be rare, there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Go to the doctor!
|

replied September 16th, 2012
I discovered my septated hymen at the age of 12 when I starting using tampons. Like most, I had no idea what the hell it was. It kept getting stuck around the edges and I would ask my friends if it ever happened to them and no one knew what I was talking about. Once I started having sex at 14, I was terrified. I had very minimal pain the first time. After doing a little bit of research I found out that there are different types of hymens. I would talk to my mom, who is a RN and she told me I wasn't a doctor and to not self diagnose myself. I'm now 18 and about a year ago I went to planned parenthood where I get my birth control pills, and had them do an exam. I was curious, and she told me there was nothing there. When I went to an actual gyno earlier this year as soon as she inserted the speculum she said I did have a septate hymen. We talked about the surgery but it was just too much money without having insurance. A few days ago, I was having sex with my boyfriend and he went to thrust and broke it. I didn't know until the next day when I was bleeding and felt a piece of skin hanging out of my vagina. The bleeding finally stopped and I'm having itching where the band of skin snapped. I have no idea who to call about getting the rest of it removed. It's very embarrassing and hard to talk about with anyone.. especially my boyfriend.
|

replied September 17th, 2014
I also had s.h. - only found out now because the tissue never completely 'retracted'. Sex was fine the first time, but it wasn't missionary and I think that was a huge factor. Wasn't cut or anything so the first time sex was missionary it tore. Flash of pain and over quick-freaked him out more than me! I don't think it's abnormal, just different, kind of like all guys have different sacs and sticks we have different hymens.
|

replied September 17th, 2014
I also had s.h. - only found out now because the tissue never completely 'retracted'. Sex was fine the first time, but it wasn't missionary and I think that was a huge factor. Wasn't cut or anything so the first time sex was missionary it tore. Flash of pain and over quick-freaked him out more than me! I don't think it's abnormal, just different, kind of like all guys have different sacs and sticks we have different hymens.
|

replied April 13th, 2015
Septate Hymen- What to do?
I'm pretty sure I have a septate hymen and I'm 14. I just was able to put a tampon in but I had to do it sideways. I'm really embarrassed and I'm not sure whether to tell my mum and how to... Do I really need to see a gyno about this? Will I need to get surgery??
|

replied August 18th, 2016
Tell your mom! It's your mom's job to help with these sorts of things! You may not need surgery, but it might be a good idea. You can talk to your mom and your doctor about it and decide what you want to do- don't forget that it's about what's comfortable for you! And I know how embarrassing seeing the gyno can be, but it's honestly not as bad as you think it'll be. The gyno deals with this sort of thing constantly and won't think twice about it. Just like your dentist won't be appalled that your teeth grow a certain way, except the gyno will be way less judgemental than a dentist. And in any case, you don't have to see the gyno yet, just make sure you let your mom know what's going on.
|

replied August 9th, 2016
I also have a septate hymen. When I was a teenager I tried using tampons but they were difficult to get in and even worse to get out; it was nearly always painful. My mother told me I must have been putting it in wrong and that was why it hurt- now that I'm 20 years old and a newlywed, I find out how wrong she was! My husband broke through the more normal part and stretched the middle piece, which hurt some but not too much, and months later, he slipped and tore the middle piece, but it was so thick- at least as thick as a pencil- it hurt both of us, and now, 4 days later, it's still bleeding a bit. (It soaked through a blanket, a wad of toilet paper, and covered my hand right afterward, so that's a lot of blood) It led us to research it online and figure out that it's a 1 in 1,000 thing!
My gyno is scheduling me for a procedure to take care of the pieces with an electrocautery where they'll numb me and then burn through the remaining flesh. She said to wait about two weeks after the procedure before having intercourse.
From what I hear, usually doctors will remove it, whether they just cut through it, do a surgery, tie it in a knot and let it fall off, or cauterize it.
|
Users who thank biokma for this post: kristigraham 

replied October 22nd, 2016
I'm a 17 year old with a septate hymen,
I never used tampons so I was a bit late figuring out I wasn't normal. I've masturbated from a young age and noticed I was really tight, like I'm talking I could only fit one finger in and researched and found out you can usually fit more than one finger in. Finally I got a good look in a hand held mirror when I was 16 and freaked out thinking I had 2 vaginas. Did some more research and kaboom septate hymen.
I didn't really care at the time cause I was a long way from ever having sex. Then my boyfriend walked into my life when I was 17. He would always try to set the mood and finally have sex with me after waiting for ages. He knew I was a virgin but I think he was confused as to why I always had to turn him down. Finally I told him and he was completely understanding and waited for 8 months until finally he was fooling around with me and was pretending to stick it in when the tip went in. I was certain about it not going any further than that when but he was more certain more could go in. He was so happy about trying to fit more in I agreed. So condoms on and he's halfway in and I feel heaps of pain. It was very painful at the beginning and soooo much blood. Like I'm talking all over the bed, him and me. So we finally had sex and I'm certain he tore my septate hymen.

My advice is if you're gonna break it through sex it doesn't hurt that much. Yes of course it does at the start but even regular sex does. That extra pain of it tearing seemed worth it to me. And put a towel down cause there's gonna be a lot of blood! Towards then end I didn't feel pain at all.
|

replied July 9th, 2017
Hey, I don't know if someone is going to see this, hope someone does haha, I have a septate hymen too, I found about it like 2 years ago, I am 19 and still a vigin, but my boyfriend and I are thinking about having sex for the first time, I am scared that I am going to bleed al over him, but I am also scared to tell my mom, definitely I won't cut it myself, I know I have to go to the gyno, but for the girls that went, how did you tell your mom about it, I dont want her to think that I am doing it for the sex, so if you could give me ideas and also how much do you think the operation cost?
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2017
Community Volunteer
It is most frequently done under general anesthesia in an out patient facility, so it is quite expensive, depending on where you live, and your medical insurance of course.

There is absolutely zero reason to be embarrassed. Even if you are having sex, or want to do it to have sex. You are a young adult. You can always just tell your mom that you discovered a septate hymen and that it is bothering you and you want to see a gyno to see if everything is ok.

You are quite right, septate hymen's are often very thick and elastic, and may bleed a lot. That is also why the doctor will most often do the operation in a surgical theater so that they can stop the bleeding quickly.

While you talk to the gyno, also make sure you discuss birth control and your cycles if you have any questions about your cycles.

Best of luck!
|