Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Sensitive gag reflex

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
i am not even sure where this issue fits but hopefully ill get an answer.

so all my life ive had a sensitive gag reflex. going to the dentist, swimming, terrible smells, and a few other reasons would trigger my gag reflex. however its never been that bad, just super sensitive to the above factors. i just went to mexico for spring break and had what i think was very slight food poisoning. my stomache was always slightly queasy/nauseous and whenever i started drinking i would start dry heaving cause of my gag reflex. i thought that was normal at first, since my body obviously did not want alcohol. when i got back home though, my gag reflex was going crazy. every like 30 minutes to an hour i would feel myself about to dry heave and have had to hold back with water, mints, salt, and w/e else i could get my hands on. it really is reacting to nothing. for example while studying i suddenly started dry heaving. this really makes no sense to me and is getting quite irritating. does anyone know what is going with me?

thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|