Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Self Harm advice and support

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
User Profile
Has/does any one self harm? Do you have any friends/relatives that self harm?

I self harmed a while ago and have recently had thoughts of it but not sure if I will actually do it. has any one been in this situation and if so what happened?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 24th, 2012
One of my best friends was self harming a long with her friends who I didn't know at all. She thought life was awful and the only way to help it was to slit her wrists and cut her ankles and legs. She thought that her mum wasn't giving her any attention. We had to help her we took her to see some teachers and eventually she stopped but she's still got the scars and it still haunts her she says it was a time of madness. The only reason she forced herself to stop was after her friends tried to hang herself and ended up in hospital in a critical position. Another one of my friends was self harming and has stopped now she was given a hard life to start off with and everyone understands that. But when those two friends of mine say down and talked about it to eachother they both helped eachother to stop. One of them self harmed all the way up their arm, and even made the teacher cry, I cried as well just the thought of someone thinking this is the only way and can make myself happy. And people who self harm want attention. Not attention in a bad way not attention seekers but that's what it is they may not be getting enough attention at home from parents and guardians and they do that for attention. If you ever think about self harming don't its not worth it your life is in your hands and sit down and talk with your mum and dad they'll help you honestly after my experience with my friends I was in tears for days, because I couldn't control them I was in bed each night hoping and praying that they would live to see tomorrow xx.
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2012
ive been in that situation and I ended uo self harming myself
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2012
Experienced User
Hey, I'm 22 I've been self harming since I was nine. I was bullied and abused before I was 6
So this made me cut myself I have continued to do so up until this year it's coping mechanism for me like most other self injurers - I sometimes go on you tube to watch people tell there story and how they cope with everything it makes you feel like you are not alone and that even if you don't tell anyone there's always someone there to understand.

Take care
|

replied November 20th, 2012
I have been self harming for years and am just now trying to recover from it. Majority of my friends self harm as well as half of my family. It is a very addictive and unhealthy coping skill and I do not suggest doing it. It can take years to stop and it only helps for a few moments. If you are having a difficulty with coping, try staying around people, keeping silly putty or clay in our hands, running, coloring, listening to music. Those are all healthy coping skills. And there are so many others. Anything you like doing can be a coping skill. Just make sure you aren't burying your feelings in the process
|
Quick Reply