Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Seizures caused by alcohol consumption (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
I'm a healthy 24 year old male who started having generalized tonic clonic seizures in college. I've had 3 seizures total and all 3 occured the morning after a night of drinking. The amount of alcohol I consumed varied in all three instances. One time I was up real late drinking pretty much all day at a good friends college graduation party and the other two times I had maybe 5 or 6 beers in the course of 6 hours or so. In all three cases I awoke the next morning and used the bathroom, so I was up and about. When I returned to bed or to the tv to watch some tv I began to seize. The alcohol is clearly the variable and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar or has any alternative treatments? I'm currently on Keppra to prevent the seizures and have take Depakote in the past but I'd rather not be on medication for the rest of my life if possible. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jbonome
|

replied January 25th, 2009
Don't drink...
Hi, I have had epilepsy since age 14 and now I am 28. I understand you may want to have a good time and drink, but if you have one beer or just one margarita my neuro said it would be fine once in a while. If you can't have just one, then don't drink. Looks like that is why you are having the seizures. Take care.
|

replied May 15th, 2009
seizures
Hi, I'm a 30 yr old male, and I've had 3 seizures in a 16 months period. In all 3 cases
they occured in the morning after an excessive
amount of alcohol.
|

replied August 25th, 2012
hi dale,

i would be very careful seizures are not necessarily reversible as far as brain damage goes...the more you have the more you will have....i had a similar situation and at 32 i quit drinking and have had them in sobriety doctor says that alcohol can actually change your chemistry and sometimes after years they stop sometimes you have them permanently...be careful..
|

replied June 27th, 2009
epilepsy and drinking alcohol
hey, im 22 and have juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. it started about 6 months after i started partying hard in college, since then i was basically in denial that it had anything to do with partying even though each of my 4 seizures was right after a night of heavy drinking. If i have anything more than 6 or 7 drinks the next morning i have little "jerks" which are like brain hiccups and they are almost as frightening as a full seizure. Even though I am on a huge amouont of kepra and lamictal they still occur randomly. If you can help it dont drink, although i feel like a hippocrite for advising this because i am having trouble stopping the drinking. I plan to seek help for alcoholism very soon. I truly wish you the best of luck, this is the first time i've spoken to ANYONE about this.
|

replied April 25th, 2011
re alcohol seizures
i can help you with this i went through something similar finally got sober and everything is much more manageable it is not an easy transition but the seizures are a result of the alcohol
|

replied July 27th, 2009
Alcohol, a sedative, has many anticonvulsant properties. This causes an increase in likelihood of seizure activity upon withdrawal.

I drank for about 5 years despite the fact that I was beginning to have complex partial seizures (really scary space-out seizures). I am almost positive that if I had never touched the bottle, my condition would not be anywhere near as extreme or debilitating as it is now.
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
good luck tryin to figure out why you seize the morning after
hey jbonome,im 40 and i had my 1st seizure at 18 - after a night of drinking. have had about 12 now. was a weekend binge drinker for years even with the risk of seizure the next morning. had every test known to man and they found nothing wrong with me. It doesnt happen every time, but the risk is there. I know this is gonna sound ridiculous, but even after i lost my license(seizure behind the wheel) i still drink socially.my doctor cleared me for driving (because he couldnt find anything wrong wth me) but i actually had to promise that i would not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous in any way the next day after drinking the night before. and that is what i adhere to. dont know why it can or does happen,but it has never happened unless i was drinking the night before. good luck.
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
Im on Keppra .. was seizure free for 5 yrs (bar when i forgot meals/tablets/had 2 real boozy nights) my situation is the exact same as the guy who posted the initial post. If i drink heavy (5/6 pints) then maybe drink the next night (even a little) then that night I (may)/ will fit in my sleep Sad This has just recommenced happening this yr ... as if the Keppra is no longer solving the issues? Problem is I like a drink but now the ballpark has moved I have no idea where my limits are ... Currently trying to find out and if I cant maybe i quit the booze Sad Seeing as tho Epilepsy just turned up at 29 ... would be great if it just went Smile
|

replied October 14th, 2009
Hello jbonome,

I have had six seizure/collapses since my early twenties, I am now forty three. One my my seizures did involve alcohol. All the others did not. The experience's are all the same. See my post "Am I suffering from epilepsy" I'm curious as to whether others are having the same experience. I have no medical insurance to see a Neurologist about this. I am hoping others might relate to what is happening to me and share some insight as to what is going on. Best of luck to you.
|

replied November 25th, 2009
same as you
Hello,
My hubby just had his first fit not long ago, we are undergoing tests at the moment to find out if he has epilepsy. His happened the morning after drinking as well, since then we have pin pointed 3 other occasions where we think that he has had a fit, two the morning after drinking and 2 within hours of drinking, all different amounts.
The doctors have said that basically he has to not drink much, they said two glasses of red wine is said to be good for you, so stick with something along those lines, if not then just stop drinking if you can.
It is scary that we dont know about this, our friends and family have been shocked that they didnt know how easy it is to fit after drinking.

Good luck to everyone, I hope that you find some answers!!
|

replied December 26th, 2009
Alcohol/Seizures
First fit @ 55, not heavy drinker, but did have 3-4 beers night before, over 3 hour period. Fit occured, noon next day 17 hours after last drink. Doc. said I'm in great shape, no known cause. I had stopped taking cephalexin 48 hours for treatment of a sty. Any connection between the seizure and cessation of the antibiotic?
|

replied January 12th, 2010
Hi,

I'm a healthy 18 year old female. Although I don't drink regularly, on New Years Eve I got heavily drunk, didn't feel too bad the next day and had an alcopop. That night in my sleep I had a Tonic/Clonic seizure.. Awoke in hospital without a clue what had happened. Do you think it's likely to happen again?

Thanks,
Kaci
|

replied August 25th, 2012
seizure
yes. i would be very careful similar thing happened to me at 22 and i continued to party and had them every couple years until eventually they happened every few months.
|

replied January 28th, 2010
seizures...
response to KC1991. I'm 31 years old, and I had my first seizure due to alcohol when I was 25. I was on medications (Dilantin) for 2 years and then the doc took me off. I haven't had a seizure since 2006, and last week I drank half a fifth of vodka and had a seizure. I usually have them 8-10hours after I stop drinking. So to answer your question can this happen again, and YES-be careful. I'm going back to my doc and requesting an EEG and might go back on meds. I don't want to but maybe that's the only way dmv will not revoke my license. Good luck to you, and don't drink if you don't have to:)
|

replied January 30th, 2010
Do u have to take meds....
Does anyone know if u have a seizure due to drinking do u have to be put on meds?
|

replied April 1st, 2010
Seizure is avoidable if quit consuming alcohol.There is a twin (early 20s), one quit drinking and reduced risk of getting a seizure.The other continue to drink occasionally due to depression of a family loss and continue to gets seizure once a while. If seizure caused by genetic mutation, usually occur in young age.If not genetic, neuronal loss in brain causes it.Find what''s new in life for the past 1~2 years that cause to loose brain function (memory loss).Meds can reduce occasional seizure, but won''t cure unless change life style. Seizure may change physical expression in a long term, better to avoid when you still look good.
|

replied October 1st, 2010
alcohol and siezures
HI, I have had similar experiences... After reading what everyone is saying...Alcohol is BAD and it is FKing up our bodies!! When I had my first siezure, I had been drinking all day the day before and had drank many times that way before, but this time my body just broke down...and seriously I haven't been the same. This happened in August of last summer and I am so freaked out by it. I have had drinks since then and a few times felt the startings of the siezure and its almost like I fight it, some shaking, feeling faint, about to lose my mind and it hurts too. not badly but it takes a toll. Sometimes I think about it and that starts to bring on anxiety that I;m gona have one. so twisted now. I turned 32 in June. peace and love
Please stop drinking if this is happening to you. I used to drink often and now the thought of having another Siezure is a total BUZZKILL!!!
|

replied July 1st, 2011
My son is 21 years old. He has never had fever type seizures, no history of it in his family, nothing. In good shape, jui jitsue, works out. He had his first seizure the day after drinking anywhere from 8-10 beers in early May. He was severely dyhydrated when taken to the ER. He works in a heat related job---sprinkler fitter. They treated the dyhydration and released him. All was well until he drank like that again. He had another seizure the day after drinking. Kidneys were at 43%, neurologist is thinking the dyhydration was so severe the first time he never really recovered. Ct scans normal, eeg abnormal, waiting on MRI now. I am his mother, to my knowledge (and we are close) he is not an alcoholic. He too is having panic like symptoms. They placed him on Lamictal. He has decided that drinking is not worth it. We are hoping the doctors make the right connection and at some point he can discontinue the meds. However, we are almost relieved for now he is on the meds. He has a 2 year old son and we dont want him seizing while driving or climbing the heights he does.
|

replied July 1st, 2011
My son is 21 years old. He has never had fever type seizures, no history of it in his family, nothing. In good shape, jui jitsue, works out. He had his first seizure the day after drinking anywhere from 8-10 beers in early May. He was severely dyhydrated when taken to the ER. He works in a heat related job---sprinkler fitter. They treated the dyhydration and released him. All was well until he drank like that again. He had another seizure the day after drinking. Kidneys were at 43%, neurologist is thinking the dyhydration was so severe the first time he never really recovered. Ct scans normal, eeg abnormal, waiting on MRI now. I am his mother, to my knowledge (and we are close) he is not an alcoholic. He too is having panic like symptoms. They placed him on Lamictal. He has decided that drinking is not worth it. We are hoping the doctors make the right connection and at some point he can discontinue the meds. However, we are almost relieved for now he is on the meds. He has a 2 year old son and we dont want him seizing while driving or climbing the heights he does.
|

replied October 7th, 2010
Drinking/seizure/meds/prior TBI's what I went through
I'll post on this. I drank like a madman in my late teens to early 20's.Beer,then hard stuff 1/2 gal of jim/day for a year.Stopped the hard stuff due to problems while drinking it. Went back to beer at a high level, 2 cases/wk for 2 years,worked,no probs, then a real bad dui crash at 100+ in '98.Jaws of life for 2 hrs.,life flight to the hospital,documented coma for 8hrs,98% chance of death.I was 24. During those times I quit here & there, no seizures,shakes, beer doesn't cause that unless you can put 10 cases away a week for a few years. So I did drink again, more like 6-8 after work(beer), mostly every night,no issues at all. At 31 I started having panic attacks for no medical reason,etoh was not considered even a remote reason.Was put on disability & ativan 4mg/day. That worked good for the panic disorder,than my shrink got the bright idea to add buspar to the mix & add bipolar to my diagnosis,why no clue. I had no mania or typical bp2 symptoms. Well little known side effect to buspar,it makes you drink & drink alot. You never have a hang over,you can go to bac's as high as .30 & be lucid. My ativan use lessened contrary to what docs think bezos that they make you drink. I used more buspar is what I did.This total loss of control of beer lasted for about 7 mons & I decided that I should go get looked at at the er. Hadn't eaten in 30 days & was consuming 24/7 at that point I was at case/day but most were half full & warm because I would pass out long before I could get to #10 in a 5 hr time frame. Docs were more concerned about a seizure from not taking the ativan for 3 weeks,than from a beer detox.The buspar detox was one of the worst(etoh like symptoms for 30+ days) but no seizure yet.So I never got put on ativan again,instead he tried every type of ssri,snri,you name it I've been on it & I drank to relieve the anxiety & panic I had in spurts. Well I decided to detox,again. AA had me so afraid of a seizure, i had 3 beers the day I was going into detox. After an 1hr ride to the place I got out of the car & boom grand-mal 20mins long!1st hospital thought it was etoh,but never considered I was still a .08 when it happened. They sent me back to detox after a few hours of ativan & watching me. 8 hrs later I had another,this time "status epilipticus",meaning over 30 mins, non responsive to benzo via IV in mass amounts,crash cart ready.Almost died. Neuro was called in & said it was not beer withdrawal & I needed more tests after detox.EEG normal,CT no bleed.Well this seizure stuff happened more & always assumed to be etoh related until another doc said paxil was the cause. Well to wrap it up,meds cause my seizures, the dangerous kind,beer combined with the use of anti-depressants,anti-physchotics lowers the threshold 10 fold. I said my panic was TBI related 6 yrs ago & was told the abnormal mri was a part of the brain not used by my shrink,lmao!! I haven't had a drink in over 10 mons & had a seizure/life threatening panic attacks several times. Googled the meds,my condition(minus beer), & stopped taking all meds,went to herbal remedies for the panic. No seizure for a month, but panic soon came back 10 fold,so he tried me on pamelor & nurotin. I was ok with pamelor for a week,then had a grand mal in my sleep 2 days after he upped it to 25mg/day. Stopped that med,continued the nurontin at 100mg/4x day.Within a week I had a panic attack so bad that the ambulance coudn't transport me due to bp 200/180 heart rate 140/min, tachacardic.Got me down to a safer 160/110,then the er doc said nurontin is causing it,titrated me down,& put me on xanax 1mg 4x/day. I had to go to family doc to get a new script for the xanax. I had another mri done, this time the radiologist was good,he found 2 lesions on my left brain, post traumatic encephalomacia,both in the frontal & temporal lobes. This is why the regular meds are bad for me,they cause seizures,even the anti-convulsants. The nurontin was causing big time clonic seizures. They've stopped,no mania,I feel "normal" now. So serious tbi's can cause a panic/behavioral disorder years after,even if you think you're fine. The part of the brain affected is also the part having seizures,which in my case cause the panic & attacks etc. They are seizures in the temporal lobe & that's why if they progress to status elpilipticus, I could die from one. PET & SPECT scans are next,visual EEG is normal. Surgery is not an option,too dangerous to do.The non arachnoid cysts are not treatable with epilelepsy meds. But for thoose of you posting saying you were born with seizures or had them as adult & are taking a anti-convulsant,DON'T DRINK!! It's why only a few or a bad night can trigger a grand mal or other seizure the next day. Seizures aren't fun & when you have every kind medically possible like me,minimize triggering one. They get more frequent & harder to control everytime you have one. My seizure stuff was latent, the very 1st was after a zofran injection,no etoh involved. That woke the beast up.Look up an etoh seizure,it happens after a person drinks for years like major amounts,then stops. They're short,no more than 5mins, unless you're the guy who drinks 3 fifth's a day for 10 yrs or more. That's when you get status epilipticus, true DT's, & you can die even in the hospital. Benzo's don't stop those kinds.So to the poster above asking about an etoh seizure,it happens in 3% & only is in cronic alkys. Then you're mri/ct will be real bad,your liver count will be in the 1000's,lab results will be ominous. Heavy beer drinkers hardly ever have a seizure from withdrawal, like less than 1%.If you have the shakes after drinking for a long time,go to the er, they'll juice you on ativan for 3 days,send you to detox, all is well if you don't go back to it.AA can help too,if you feel alcohol is the only issue in your life. If you had a seizure from withdrwal, like I said there will be visable brain damage & you'll be at stage 3 or 4 in alcoholism. If you drink 11 beers/drinks in a short time(4-5hrs),you can have a "rum fit",tonic clonic grand mal,lasting secs to up to 7 mins. If it's longer,hope you're not alone,because you stop breathing during it & sometimes don't restart on your own,rare,but happens.
|

replied January 13th, 2011
seizure, beer, morning, liver
Hi, I am 32 years old, and had two seizures, first 2,5 years ago, and second 2 months ago. I had febrile convulsions as a kid. I am not a drinker, but sometimes with friends and family I drink 1/2 litres of spirits, or 2-3 litres of beers. I am 115 kg weight (height over 2 metres), so I can drink 1 litre of beer per an hour or two, so I am not drank after several hours of drinking. First seizure was after few months of less physical activities and then after a exausting road trip, that lasted 5-6 days, with less hours a day asleep, was drinking all night (mostly beer) until 5 a.m., and had seizure after being awake at 12 a.m. approximately. MR was good, neurologist didn`t make any EEG of blood tests, they gave me frisium and depakine, then only depakine, and after 1 month they made EEG (was good) and turned off therapy and told me not to combine alcohol, overstrain, lack of sleep, stimulation drinks etc.
...and I didn`t combine it!
But two months ago, after a few months with less physical activities and more frequent consuption of alcohol (mostly beer) in amounts of 1-2 litres (sometimes even 2-3 litres), I had another seizure, also in the morning. Previous night I was rest for I slept afternoon, but I drank 3 litres of beer approximately. Immediately before the seizure I had a breakfast, ate 4 boiled eggs, and walked to pay some bills, was feeling good. Neurologist, 7 days after, made EEG which performed some epilepogenic activities, and prescribed lamictal therapy for 2 months...
On my own, I made blood tests, and had AST (aspartate aminotransferase) higher, and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) lower, everything other was good (tests were made 20 days after the seizure). Thought the liver was the cause for seizures, while it had problems to work all the beer in the morning, so I started drinking 0.3-0.4 of whey a day, with some meds for liver regeneration, with food therapy also. After 20-30 days of that regime, ultrasonography showed the liver was good, maybe little bit bigger than usual for the male of my size.
My opinion is that alcohol causes some state of liver that can cause seizure, and if man drinks more frequently in some period, than the liver is more sensitive to that kind of state. I was more drank many times in my life than those two times I had seizure, but what was characteristic was the accumulation of unhealthy behaviour, beer consumption, etc...
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
Hi, I'm 39 years old and had my first seizure 1 month ago while drinking at a bar. It was early evening and I was into my second glass of wine after two beer pints. MRI, EEG, CTScan and blood all good. Doc however wants me in Keppra for 3 years @ 1,000 mg per day. I'm having anxiety attacks and feelings of depressions (sadness) since starting the med. Not sure what's going on and not sure if its alcohol related (I'm an every weekend social drinker), or stress/emotional related. Anyone else had a seizure while drinking? Good luck to everyone!!
|

replied August 13th, 2011
Experienced User
hello. I had a seizure on 7th August 2011, I blacked out, I thought I had just fallen asleep and woke up, didnt know why people were fussing around me. My first seizure, bit my tongue and embarrassingly wet myself too. 46 years old, never had a seizure or anything like it before, so am puzzled as to why this happened, though have been stressed out and was very tired too. (And yes, had consumed alcohol the night before, though not in excess) Initial brain scan clear, was taken to hospital, speaking of epilepsy but more tests to be done incl. EEG. Am home now, but find noise difficult to handle, also my writing is poor - did you have any lasting after effects?
|

replied August 14th, 2011
I posted about my 21 y/o son in an earlier post. I am sorry that you have gone through that. I know from my son's experience that it was hard on him and he began having some anxiety over whether he would have another one or not while driving or watching his 2 year old. He has undergone the CT-clear (at ER); EEG-abnormal; and we are waiting for results from his MRI. Both times he had seizures he was severely dehydrated and had drank the night before. We have no family history of epilepsy. I wonder if the link is: beer adds to the dyhydration which appears to be a trigger for him? Do you work outside or in the heat? Were you hydrated at the time of the seizure? After the second seizure they placed him on Lamictal. He was soooo opposed to medication, but after that second one he did not want to risk losing license or having car accident while his son is with him. He is a sprinkler fitter and works under extreme conditions at work and heights, he dranks gatorade and water and purposefully stays hydrated. So far he has not had a third one. His seizures all begin in May 2011. Having a good neurologist is key, so they won't take the easy route and diagnosis you with something thats not there. Don't be afraid to get second opinions. Yes, he felt horrible for days after the seizures. Memory lapses. His doctor told him the seizures are kinda of hard on the brain and body, especially if they are not treated afterwards. He experienced fatigue, memory lapses, grogginess. The first ER visit they treated him with valium (while in hospital) and gave him prescription of Dilantin. He didnt take the dilantin and about a month or two later had another one triggered by drinking/dyhydration. He had not drank at other times. They referred him to nuerologist who ditched the dilantin and placed him on Lamictal while they try to figure it out. I told him if drinking and hydration is the drinker to consider it God's stop sign.
|

replied August 17th, 2011
Experienced User
hi, thanks for replying. I didnt think I was dehydrated or anything. I was extremely tired (dreadful sleeper!) though and got several warnings things not right that morning. I now have (10 days later) a tingling in my hands and legs. Dont know if this is anyway connected. Hope your son is doing ok.
|

replied August 30th, 2011
I've experienced several seizures that I believe are related to alcohol consumption....i've also experienced PVC (premature ventricular contraction) -irregular heartbeat on occasion after drinking. I believe it to be magnesium deficiency. Magnesium plays a role in regulating the electrical functions of the body. If u do take magnesium...Most pills forms of magnesium that are available are in the oxide form...this is poorly absorbed and not effective. Trans-dermal is much better.. i Soaking in mag. flakes or using magnesium oil spray on my skin. Most people are already deficient...alcohol, sodas & dehydration make it worse. keep in mind that the standard serum test used for testing magnesium levels is basically useless for determining a deficiency. so regular blood testing will not reflect your true deficiency. Intracellular Magnesium Levels are being shown to be the only clinically significant measure of magnesium deficiency. This might be the underlying issue behind seizures and alcohol consumption. Most adults need as much as 800-1000mg of Magnesium for 2 or 3 months to restore the imbalance. Magnesium will also keep your mind and body calm and relaxed. Stress and stressful situations deplete magnesium from your system. taking magnesium will restore your peace...no more jumpiness or anxiety.
|
12 >>