Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Seizures brought on by anxiety

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
It has been diagnosed that my husband has seizures brought on by anxiety. Because they are seizures he can not drive or work. Anytime there is any kind of stress great or small he has a seizure. This has also put him in a deep depression. He has always been a very "It is my job to support my family" kind of guy and now he can't do so. I am doing what I can financially but money is really, REALLY tight. So this just makes his condition worse. I have never heard of anxiety causing seizures. Has anyone ever heard of this. They have run all kinds of tests on him. They thought it was epilepsy to start but the tests always come back negative for this. And the seizures always happen right after he gets "stressed out".
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 19th, 2009
Anxiety and seizures
I have had the same problem for 20 yrs. Medications do not work. I am now going on disability due to this problem. I am just now correlating anxiety and seizures. I always have one AFTER the stress disapates. It is very distressing.
|

replied May 11th, 2011
Anxiety Seizures
See a nutritionist for any nutrient or vitamin deficiencies. I am not a doctor, however the body has various neuro pathways that need a variety of vitmains and nutrienst to function properly. I had a seizure disorder for almost 4 years. Now with proper nutrition, sleep, vitamins B6+ D (see your physician)I have been seizure free for almost a year. You can get your life back. I actually have energy now to get more exercise and sleeping better than ever.
|

replied October 17th, 2012
Anxiety-triggered seizures
I have been having the same problem. Out of the blue, I had a grand-Mal seizure one evening in January and another one couple weeks later. I lost consciousness, fell down, started salivating at the mouth with eyes rolled out, all-over body jerking movements - the whole shebang! It was an absolutely horrifying experience.
Since then I've also been having partial seizures during sleep, sometimes as many as 3 times per night and when I'm awake as well. What happens is I always feel an "aura" - a very unpleasant sensation in my body, kind of like a shiver combined with feeling of fear and unexplained sadness, and then I know the attack is about to happen - but I can't do nothing to stop it.
The doctors did all kinds of tests on me - MRI, EEGs, 48-hour sleep study/EEG and they all came out fine. My neurologist suggested these seizures are psychogenic and non epileptic. They are basically caused by bottled-up stress and anxiety. That's how my body reacts to something it cannot cope with.
I tried so many things to get rid of this - deep breathing exercises, meditation, hypnosis, sport, psychotherapy - without significant improvement. Until somebody recommended a herbal supplement - Valerian root. I bought it online in capsules and felt a difference right after the first dose. It may not fix the problem for me but it definitely HELPS. And it's natural. If you haven't tried it - I highly recommend it.
|

replied April 29th, 2013
Wow! It has been so stressful for so many years! especially not knowing anyone else who had the same problem Sad (except for one friend - who's seizures suddenly stopped without her knowing why)
Could you please tell me more?! eg. re: this supplement you are taking (Valerian root), what else you are doing etc.
I have had this same problem for approx 6-7 years now and I have a seizure in my sleep approx 1-2 times every fortnight and I haven't been able to work or drive all this time and it is driving me CRAZYY!!!
I do feel warnings (Auras) before they come but there is nothing I can do about it and it is very scary :*(
|

replied October 19th, 2012
Natap,
Thank you!!! That is exactly what happens to me! My psychiatrist put me on Lamictol (sp?) and it has worked wonders. I went off of it for 3 days while I was awaiting prescription refil and Sunday night I had a seizure. I'm almost positive these are brought on by stress, as they always happen right after a major panic attack. Lamictol is my saving grace Smile
|

replied October 20th, 2012
Yes seizures can be caused by stress, trauma, or strong emotions but there is usually more going on in the body that you might not think is related. having the seizures or paralysis when your sleeping can be related to narcolepsy. I am gonna list a whole bunch of symptoms and let me know how many you have. tachycardia( increased heart rate),orthostatic intolerance - when lying down if you get up too quickly do you feel light headed or dizzy, walking up stairs does your legs feel heavy and you feel out of breath sometimes, asthma or difficulty breathing when playing sports or heat related like taking a shower or humidity outside, fainting or near fainting,fatigue, general weakness,insomnia, nausea, joint pain (especially in lower back, neck or wrists), in ability to regulate one'S body temp, cold hands and feet, chest pains, excessive sweating, bloating ect...
|