Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Seizures and Sneezing

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
I have simple partial seizures after sneezing and, interestingly, after witnessing someone else sneeze---even if they're quite far away from me.

Does anyone else share this trigger or have any idea what may be happening?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 15th, 2010
i dont believe so but whoknows i might. i only know when its grand mal.
|

replied June 13th, 2010
Yes, you are the only other person that I have found who shares my trigger. I used to think I was crazy before I found out I had seizures. The sneezing only triggers complex partial seizures in me. I only have had grand mal ones when I sleep.
|

replied July 7th, 2010
Oh my god!!!!! this is exactly what i have!!!!!!!!!!!i have long suspected that i have pc seizures, my mom does too and is on tegretol, but i never heard anyone experience what i do. 90% of the time after i sneeze or if someone else sneezes i get pc seizures!!! glad to know that i am not crazy either and that it is what i thought it was all along!
|

replied July 7th, 2010
WOW!
|

replied August 25th, 2010
me too!
Hi! This used to happen to me too, when i was a boy. I also thought i must be going crazy and never mentioned it to anyone! I'm now nearly 50. This happened a lot during my teens, and a couple of times in my late 20's, but has not happened since. I'm so grateful i came across this site, as it's so good to know i wasn't the only one!
|

replied January 13th, 2014
Sneezing triggered seizures
My grad daughter also shares this trigger...I thought I was crazy, she would literally jump out of her skin or if she was holding a cup it would go flying across the room. I though it looked like a seizure because it was like she would stare thereafter then after a minute go back to playing or whatever else, sometime she will cry.
|

replied January 25th, 2014
sneezing b4 siezures
Doctors don't want to believe it but I'm fine one minute then I sneeze 3 times in a row & a few seconds later I'm having a seizure usually a complex partial or petite mal, but I do have grand mals after the sneezing episodes occasionally. I have also heard my children sneeze and went into a siezure, that hasn't happened in a long ttime though. Some Dr.s want to say its part of a seizure, if that's true how could hearing someone else trigger it? I believe something in the auditory cortex, auditory nerve or in the upper temporal lobe triggers my seizures. I've been having seizures for over 20 years, but will a Dr. Listen to what I believe is going on with me??? NO
|

replied January 25th, 2014
Doctors don't want to believe it but I'm fine one minute then I sneeze 3 times in a row & a few seconds later I'm having a seizure usually a complex partial or petite mal, but I do have grand mals after the sneezing episodes occasionally. I have also heard my children sneeze and went into a siezure, that hasn't happened in a long ttime though. Some Dr.s want to say its part of a seizure, if that's true how could hearing someone else trigger it? I believe something in the auditory cortex, auditory nerve or in the upper temporal lobe triggers my seizures. I've been having seizures for over 20 years, but will a Dr. Listen to what I believe is going on with me??? NO
|