Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Seeing Ghosts

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi, I'm submitting this for my friend who has an eleven-year-old daughter. She says her daughter's been "seeing and hearing ghosts, but they don't freak me out, just startle me." She asked her mother any ways she could "help befriend them." Is this normal? Is it just her imagination? The first thing that came to mind was mild schizophrenia, and it's worrying me because most eleven-year-olds don't get carried away that way. My friend also says her daughter "thinks of it as a spirit-talking gift." Please help, this is strange and it's worrying me!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2009
Supporter
Adults do think it's strange and they do try to discourage children by chalking it up to their imagination. Children are born with their third eye wide open. It is considered a gift. There is nothing to be alarmed about unless she is being told to do harmful things? Then it crosses over into something else. The best thing to do is have an open mind and a open heart. Question her calmly and ask her to whom she is conversing with? I wholeheartedly believe children with imaginary friends are actually conversing with spirits. Do not scold her or make her feel uncomfortable in sharing.
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2009
Supporter
i heard of someone hearing voices when they was that young. the little girl would have to see a therapist and maybe get on medication.
what could happen is the voices could tell her to hurt someone or hurt herself. if you read other peoples forums and comments you know that this could happen.
so she should see a therapist to be diagnosis and treated.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I don't think that ghosts are people at all.
Just a thought.
And Im relieved that we are going to have proof one way or the other soon.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Children, especially only children, see things that adults don't. You can call it psychic awareness or imaginary friends but it's very normal for kids to talk to things adults don't see. If she gets further into her teens and is still seeing things then it's a good time to worry but otherwise there's little harm in riding this out.
|
Tags: hearing
Quick Reply