Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Seeing faces everywhere (Page 1)

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Now, here is what happened. When I became schizophrenic, sometime after, I can't remember exactly when I began seeing faces in things, like trees and clouds and in the material that the walls are made of. But it isn't a hallucination at all, given the time to show someone I could show them what I was seeing. Before I was schizophrenic this never happened. Now though, when I look at the clouds, either the entire thing or part of it makes the shape of a face, weird faces, and they are really there, once again not a hallucination, you could tell if it was. If you look closely enough at things, like trees in the dark of night in the street lights, there are faces in them, the shape of the trees, parts of them anyway form faces. Unfortunately, if my old self was visited by who I am today and my today self tried to show my old self these faces then I would've thought that I was crazy, I wouldn't have been able to see them. Something happened. And they are really there, it's just like those optical illusions where if you look at the white part of the picture it makes a completely different image than the black part which most people pay attention to at first. If you look at the clouds or whatever with the right mind, paying attention to the right portion of the cloud and paying attention to the right shades, just like the black and white optical illusions, they make faces alot of the time. Now someone in their early stages of developement will only see the black part of the picture so to speak, only see certain shades and only certain portions. It's a quite strange happening. Funny how the mind works isn't it? Somebody who is that way won't see them at all even though they are there, I used to be one of them so I know what it is like, you just don't see them. Go ahead, try it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lem0n
|
Users who thank woops for this post: Another_Dreamer 

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2009
seeing faces
I can be anywhere looking at the floor,walls,sofa anything that has a patern and i can see some kind of face i can even draw it on a paper. does this mean i have a problem?
|

replied April 1st, 2012
No I also have schizophrenia but I think most of my condition has to do with this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_psych ic_abilities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_projec tion
|

replied April 1st, 2012
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2009
I see faces in things like plaster, damp patches, etc. I think there is nothing to worry about and that it's a natural occurrence.

It's when they move or start to talk to you that you need to start to worry.
|

replied May 15th, 2009
Faces
It's human nature to seek meaning in things - children draw faces for comfort. If we see faces then we are seeking comfort from the world.
|

replied June 6th, 2009
Seeing Faces/ Schizophrenia/ Psychological Dissorders
PLEASE NOTE: I'm not trying to be preachy, this is just my personal opinion.

I've always seen Faces... in rugs, dirt, asphalt, even in the grains and age markings of wood, I don't feel it has as much to do with Schizophrenia, as it may have with loneliness and the need to familiarize yourself with your surroundings. Especially in times of heavy stress, I find myself seeing more faces and shapes, dog faces (both realistic and cartoon-like in nature) and other animals and things. The more open you are to idea, the more you'll see. I think it's more common than people would think. Also, it touches mainly on trying to find comfort (As Bugam stated in the above post) but you don't necessarily need to worry when they talk and move, it's all part of the mystery of the human psyche... But that's just my opinion, as I had said.
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I seek comfort, true. But this has nothing to do with seeing faces everywhere. I know this. I know that this happens for other reasons, if I could only tell you what those reasons were exactly, durrrrr.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
I see them as well. i started noticing them when i was high and just assumed it was part of it, but i see them all the time. you see them best when you squint your eyes, which bumbs the contrast letting you see more highlights and shading, and they are there. If you take the time you notice every part of one face makes up another part of another, almost as if they are infinite. once when i was looking at a cloud i saw a face with very similar looking faces sprouting from the orignal. many of them have sneers or look malevelont and some look like normal human faces and other like the stereotypical alien head with big eyes. and i agree they do exist in the patterns of everyday objects, even in video game graphics. the reason i notice them is most likely because i have a very visually oriented mind. i draw a lot and so i tend to notice little visual nuances everywhere. im curious to also find out what they really are. oh and once i was looking at a cloud that had a very distinctive human-like face with frowning mouth and for some reason i smiled at it, and it smiled back. i did a double take and it went back to its original expression and i smiled again, and again it appeared to smile back before it morphed into something else. weird huh?
|

replied June 17th, 2009
It moved eh? whoa. The ones that I see in the trees only appear to move because of the wind, alot of the time it appears as if they are chewing or pointlessly moving their mouths around.

I for one would like to have this explained in full, as much can be explained anyway.
|

replied June 18th, 2009
Im with you on that my friend, i can't help but feel it's not some halucination or some kind of mechanism in the brain.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
I've always thought seeing these faces everywhere were just a part of having a big imagination.
|

replied August 6th, 2009
seeing faces on things
me also can see faces on things, some of them are lovely, some arenot, I have been searching on the internet for someone have the same problem, I am Maha, female 29.
|
Users who thank maha123 for this post: Another_Dreamer 

replied August 6th, 2009
I see faces everywhere
I also see faces everywhere, last night I was looking at the moon, and I've always seen a howling wolf when I've looked at it, but last night, I saw the face of a beautiful woman, I smiled at her and she smiled back, and I had a nearly overwelming feeling of peace and happiness, and for some reason I knew I had to make a wish, it did flash through my mind to wish to win the lottery, but for some reason, deep down inside I knew that this would be the wrong thing to wish for, and if I wished for personal gain, I would get nothing, so I wish for something else instead. It worries me sometimes and makes me think that I'm going mad, which is why I came across this site, as I was looking for information. Sometimes I feel that there are people in the room when I am the only person there, this tends to annoy me, and I tell them to go away, I believe that they are spirit people, sometimes I know when the phone is about to ring and who is ringing, it freaks me out at times, and I worry if I am safe to be around, at times I get images in my minds eye, more often than not they are not very nice, and bad impuses, though I have never and would never act on them, they feel alien to me, as in somebody is trying to tell me to do something, but I am stronger than that, which then makes me think that maybe I'm possessed by something. I've seen face's in things from a very early age, it was always put down to an over active imagination. I always have a high pitched ringing in my ears, though when I was a child it would only happen when I was just about to go to sleep, I have it constantly now, the doctor said it was Tinnitus and I have been treated for this, it did not cure the problem, some times it is louder and others faintly there, but always there, and is as if somebody has a radio on, but it is out of tune, so that all that can be heared is static, I have had my ears tested, and I have perfect hearing, I just don't know what to think any more... or where to go or what to do next.....?
|

replied April 1st, 2011
Everything that you talked about also happens to me.
Hearing the radio on when all the radios in the house are off is really disturbing.
Feeling a presence in the room scares me.
I have seen facial patterns everywhere for as long as can remember.
Its nice to know I am not alone out there.
|

replied November 20th, 2011
Holy crap. Same. Every single thing you just mentioned. Even the thinking a wish will be answered and wishing to win the lottery then deciding its not the right or best thing. Feeling a presense. High pitched sounds. Weird bad thoughts or impulses. Seeing faces. Predicting stuff. Holy cow are we the same person
|

replied February 18th, 2012
Have you, or anyone in your family tree, been into the occult? You know, Ouija boards, tarot cards, fortune telling, psychics, etc?
|

replied February 19th, 2012
Thank you sploan, because I would rather die than keep doing this, I say thank you.

Nothing to do with genetics at all, Im so glad that you said that.

There is only one way to explain this problem being genetic, in the family so to speak.

Im sure some can figure out what that would be.

Thank you.

All the way to the bottom, even though they blame you for it.
|

replied August 28th, 2009
seriously try and avoid feelings of peace and happiness until it is logical to be at peace and or happy. Because simply put things aren't okay as of yet and if we were at peace and or happy it would never be fixed.
|

replied August 31st, 2009
I don't understand your reply, please elaborate.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
I See them everywhere !
omg omg omg , finally i found someone who would believe me , it was driving me insane , i've seen them since i was a little kid , and they were everywhere ,the funny thing , when i start seeing a specific face , then others can see it , if it disappears from my mind , it wouldnt exist their anymore , not even for others ! , yea sounds crazy i know , but it is soooo real , real faces not just cartoonic , feels like real humans .. i think there is no way to fix this right ? .. they're everywhere , now i dont let myself look anywhere with patterns for more than 1 second , trying to avoid it ... still happens .. no use i guess
|

To maha123, i am from egypt , and i've been suffering with this for soooo long , even psychaitrist couldnt fix it , if you have any idea how to fix it reply to this i dont know how to personal message either Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
It's called pattern recognition and it is a form of halucination. It's part of the brain that allows us to read when text isn't clear or recognize things that are partially obscured. For instance if you see a dog poke it's head into a doorway. we cannot see that it has four legs or a tail but we recognize enough of it's shape and proportion that we can identify it as a dog. You see evenly spaced dark spaces with a ridge extending down from between them, possibly and open area below or a mout shape in a pattern and you can identify it as a face. It's not unsual to be able to recognize face patterns. You see faces every day, it is a proportion and pattern that you're very accustomned to and processes in your mind very much want you to see faces because they are comforting to your ego.

As Telepath mentioned above, as long as they aren't trying to communicate with you, this is a completely healthy trick of your perception.
|

yes , it is face perception , your brain use it so you can recognize people's faces .. but it is not normal if it is excessive , yet it is annoying to me at least !
|

yes , it is face perception , your brain use it so you can recognize people's faces .. but it is not normal if it is excessive , yet it is annoying to me at least !
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2009
Experienced User
ok, I'm glad to hear that it is normal in some sense... I have always had a huge imagination, and since I tend to keep to myself in many ways, I think I'm a little more observant than the people around me. But if I'm bored, or I just happen to look somewhere then I will see diffrent patterns or shapes, mainly faces. They can be very creepy and disturbing, some funny, some comforting. But latley because of other personal things, I have been very very stressed out, which are causing very painful migranes, and I think that is why the shapes and patterns are becoming even more clear and relevant... also, is it normal that I can make everything go fuzzy? I showed someone once how I could do that, and I had them watch my eyes, they said that I could make my pupils dialate. Is that normal, and could that be something else that is helping me see these patterns and shapes? Dont know if thats relevant...

Thanks, Gracie. : )
|
Quick Reply