Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Seeing dead people, scary images

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
On a daily basis, I see very graphic images, mostly of dead people. I KNOW its not real and I dont really SEE it. For instance, when I go to look in a mirror, I will see a dead person in the mirror (in my head). When I look into a TV or Computer screen in the off position, I see a dead person standing in the reflection (in my head). Im not sure if this is making much sense but im trying to describe it the best I can. Its not physically there. It doesnt have the roundness and life like a chair in front of you would. I can just "picture" it being there. When I see these things, its mostly dead people and very very graphic (faces corroding, flesh peeling, etc). It happens mostly when I look in mirrors, look down a hallway, in a dark room, in the rear view mirror in the car, in off TV and computer screens, etc. Kinda like a horror movie in my head. I know its not really there.. but it still scares me. And when im feeling scared like that and I hear a noise, I am running out the door screaming! Then I realize it was just the cat... lol

What does this mean? does anyone else see things but not really SEE them in front of them?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
Experienced User
Sounds like you are having hallucinations/delusions which could be a sign of a mental disorder. I've read your other post about how you have anxiety, well anxiety could only be a symptom which is connected to something much bigger. However, it could be that you are making yourself have these hallucinations because you aware that it will happen every time. For example, if I know I'm going to see something when I look in a mirror then my mind may actually make it so it really happens. It's like if I think I'm going to hear something in a silent room then I'm going to hear something because the mind is super powerful like that. It honestly sounds like you know you have a problem but need the reassurance of people to tell you that you have a problem. My suggestion is to seek help, and seek it fast before something drastic happens.
|

replied December 11th, 2011
hi, maybe the people who are seeing these things could go to see a medium/psychic, they may be able to help, if youre that desperate to stop seeing these images you'll try anything. Emma.
|

replied November 29th, 2012
they dont help its a trigger it happens when an event that u have expericence before comes again to your present
|

replied April 19th, 2010
I experience something extremely similar. This is the first time I''ve heard of someone else with this problem (just googled it out of curiousity). I know exactly what you mean. You don''t actually see it in front of you but there is this very vivid image in your head that just pops up. I''ve told my parents about it and some of my friends know because sometimes I''ll kind of make this yelping sound because it just seems so realistic. So far I don''t think it has affected my day-to-day life, but I''ll have periods where the images appear more frequently.
|

replied October 9th, 2010
Much like saxboy92, I googled this topic as I experience the same thing, not so much lately, but it sort of all comes at once, I work with a guy who is studying psychology in university and decided that he might know what is happening. He said that it could be to do with the amount of horror films I watch, and that made some sense as I like really gory horror films. He said that because I watch them a lot, my mind might be having trouble distinguishing reality from fictional films and sort of merges the two. I also know another girl who experiences the same thing. I hope that this will help you figure out a little about what is going on.
|

replied October 27th, 2010
You are not alone
I have something similar going on, I see dead people in my head that are walking around with badly decomposed flesh thats peeling and its of a tan color and sometimes with insects inside of them. I could be looking at tv and see a person and then in my head i would see an image of them being dead and walking around with decomposed flesh. I go through alot of anxiety because of this, and went through alot of anxiety before this started happening. I think it may have happened because i was diagnosed with schizophrenia and i sometimes hear voices and I still think people can read my thoughts. Sometimes i really think im insane. you are not alone.
|

replied September 19th, 2011
I have the same thing - especially in the dark, to everyone else for example they may see a tree or bench in a park, but to me I see dead people often rotting and just staring at me. I do sometimes see them in mirrors behind me but it's just scary especially when I'm alone. I tried talking to someone about it but they just passed it off as stress, but I haven't been stressed in the slightest recently and still have them. Anyone else found out what's going on here yet?
|

replied September 21st, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
I have something similar, my sight isn't that great so if i see a picture and it's far enough away I could swear that im looking at these wide eyed blood thirsty raving lunatics, with huge eyes and just evil, doesn't happen all of the time thought.

Unfortunately it's true. It's like your own mind trying to tell you things in a hidden way, and to say it to anyone else they wouldn't believe you.

It's only with pictures though, sometimes television.

It's hard knowing about people really.
|

There obviously isn't anything wrong with you guys because of this, seeing dead people i mean.

I think that it's a natural thing when you know about death.
|

Could also be your subconscious telling you things, or your dream consciousness.

But it might be them just trying to freak you out though.

Or perhaps a fear or infatuation with death.
|

replied December 5th, 2011
..mild problem
..ever sence my girl friend had a misscarage last year ive been seeing little girls. not often, but I see them. its what i picture my future daughter to have looked like. after the misscarage we broke up and i beleve the stress and trama from both lead to theese sightings.. =/ PTSD, or something like that. anyone have any comments?
|

replied December 13th, 2011
I have seen dead people in the past; maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. It would either be a decomposed face or hanging body but here lately its been a large panther shadow bout the size of a small car or large truck at times. I don't watch much horror movies because of this; thinking that is what brought this on.
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Am I crazy
I see dead people also and I told one of my friends thinking I could trust her and it got around to my work place everybody thinks I'm crazy,even when I'm at work I see these faces I get a sudden chill every once and a while like someone has walked by me but no ones there or things will fall around me as well i feel so lost
|

replied November 28th, 2012
did u guys and girls ever stop to think that your suposed to see these things? They are beings much like us that haunt your memories, they target u when u encount or think of your worest memories. They feed on your fears. You are all not crazy but seers much like my self if u want to talk about what u see post here again and say i'm ready. " I walk in the valley of death i fear no evil i see no evil".
|
Quick Reply