Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Seeing colors that aren't there ?

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
User Profile
Lately I've noticed that sometimes when I'm looking at something, nothing in particular, that I see splotches of faded color. Sometimes the colors are yellow and sometimes they are green. I could be looking at anything when I noticed it, and when I look away the colors are still there. This does not accompany a headache or any other physical problem I'm aware of, I don't have a medical history of any problems. I just find it strange that this occurs sometimes and randomly over the years. The colors are splotchy, wide spread or at times smaller and faded. I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this, or have you experienced the same thing? It's just a very odd thing. Thanks for your time if you've read this.

Kim
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The splotches you see are probably eye floaters, or different shapes like specks, strands, webs or other, moving through your vision field.
They are more prominent when looking at a plain background, like a blank wall or blue sky.
Usually, they are nothing to worry about, and appear as a normal part of aging process.
Sometimes, their presence can indicate more serious condition as retinal detachment.
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Retina Degeneration
I've just had that happen to me. Once 4 months ago, and now a week ago. I'll be sitting, talking to someone and gradually I'll see a small patch of color, almost electric-like, out of both eyes in the same place, say the left side. The colors become more intense around the edges accompanied by some splotchiness in my direct field of vision. It lasts about 10-15 minutes, as the colors gradually fade. My Dr. said I should get my eyes checked right away, but I am without health insurance at the moment, while I continue my education.

vsh
|

replied August 29th, 2012
This happens to me on a regular basis every single day.
But I can control the colors I see and the shape it is.
I don't have any physical problems and no bad
Medical history suggesting there is something wrong
With me or my eyes. So yea, this happens about once
Every couple hours for me. I could be talking to my girlfriend
And a color will fade in around her, like over her shoulder
Or next to her and I can control the color itself and
The shape in which it's in. I play hockey and it happens there
As well but I'm so used to it it doesn't bother me anymore.
I'm 18 and this has been happening ever since I was 5.
So in my opinion it's nothing to be worried about

Brendon V.
|

replied May 19th, 2014
I see colors that aren't there
i have been seeing colors all around me all my life.. eyes open or closed.. mostly cool colors.. some deep red sometimes.. and tiny specs of light and dark that float around me like i'm inside a glitter globe with a slowly beating heart.. i have been wondering about it as far back as i can recall.. ..anyone?
|

replied May 19th, 2014
i have been seeing colors all around me all my life.. eyes open or closed.. mostly cool colors.. some deep red sometimes.. and tiny specs of light and dark that float around me like i'm inside a glitter globe with a slowly beating heart.. i have been wondering about it as far back as i can recall.. ..anyone?
|

replied June 27th, 2014
Yeah, I experience the same. If you look up 'aura' you can get information on it. Or if you're a skeptic who doesn't believe in the spiritual at all, look up 'synesthesia'. I've been seeing colours all my life - only I have control over whether I see them or not. When I close my eyes, the colours create an imprint which is still visible. Objects seem to have a slight halo of colour around them, and I also get colourful splotches in my vision. I've seen colours all my life. I prefer to go with the 'aura' version, mostly because it's nice to believe there's a deeper meaning to the colours, and also because I've had another person who can see the colours who saw the same orange stripe that I did - and they commented on it before I did. Well, synethesia is basically the version in which doctors try to figure out why people see colours or 'auras'.
|
Quick Reply