Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Seeing and hearing things after or before waking

User Profile
Some very weird things have been happening to me in the middle of the night. I never experience anything like this unless I've just woken up or am near falling asleep.

Quite a few months ago I was close to falling asleep, but still partially aware of my surroundings, then could hear "come here...come here" coming from the end of my bed. The next night at the around the same time I jolted awake to a very loud short noise, but it felt like it was inside my head. The next night I woke up at the same time and right beside my bed I could vividly see a contorted pale, bald man with no eyes and super long finger nails; I stared at it for 5-10 seconds before turning on a light that was within reach, after which it faded away. The next night I wake up at the same time and I can see a little boy who looks like he's underwater, sitting on the desk in my bedroom. I say "go away" out loud, and the little boy shakes his head. But I turned on the light and he faded away.

At this point I started sleeping with a small television on quietly in my room every night, and it seemed to stop the hallucinations.

But then just last night I woke up at the same time as before and could see a young Indian girl at the end of my bed. I turned on the light and she faded away. Then Tonight, I woke up at the same time to the same loud noise inside my head thing that I had experienced before. My cat was on my bed with me for these two experiences and was totally undisturbed by them. I have read about hypnagogia, but I doubt it's that because i remember the dreams i was having right before waking almost every time I've seen or heard something, and the dreams were completely unrelated.

This occurrences have me very shook up, to the point where I feel so much anxiety about seeing something that I put off going to sleep for as long as possible. I don't know what to do. Any ideas on what might be going on here would be highly appreciated =( I'm scared of doctors so I haven't talked to one about this as of yet.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi veryfrightened,
Do you live in a house or apartment where someone died? Do you believe in ghosts? Check with your local library and police department to see if there was a crime committed at that address. If not go to a nurologist and have an MRI done on your brain...checking to see if there is any abnormancy. You are not crazy, I believe you. You can also contact a spiritualist to come to your home and bless it to be free of any spirits.

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I'd strongly advise against buying into a haunting theory. once you accept that your problems are not rooted in measurable phenomena you have lost control of your ability to overcome them.

I had a breif period of time where I'd occasionally have waking dreams, like a form of hypnagogia but where you transition from dream to wakefullness without understanding you're waking. Basically my brain knew when my alarm would be going off and my dreams would tail off into a scenario that involved me being in bed in the morning, and my mind would do what it does in dreams, the alarm would go off, my attention would shift from what's happenning in the dream and I'd be awake. Suddenly the zombie that was choking me or the handsome boy grinding agianst my ass would be gone and I would be awake in bed with my heart pounding, confused and unable to process what was going on.

If these halucinations are allways connected to sleep. If you're not halucinating visually or auditorilly in the middle of the day I think it's common sense to work under the assumption that what you're experiencing is dream-related. I know you're nervous about seeing a doctor but I really think you should bring this up to an MD. If a change to exercise or diet or a mild medicaiton can resolve this problem it has to be easier to see the Doctor than to deal with these nightmares.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
That's almost as bad as being fully awake and seeing crap.

I'd listen to Faded rose, MRI's can see any tumors or whatever that may be the cause of this..

and a person to bless your house sounds like a pretty good idea.

I had someone do this, and since then I have felt so much calmer.

Evil spirits cannot hurt you physically, but can drain your senses.

If you're upset they drain it, if you're happy they'll get into your head telling you something to make you upset then drain from that.. In this case they are getting the drain off of you being tired..

So I would get the house cleansing as soon as possible.
|

replied November 27th, 2009
Hi, I had a very similar experience, but I was also seeing grotesque creatures. It lasted for about 2 years. My health was deteriorating because of it. In the end, I went to see a Catholic Priest. I was told I needed a good confession, which I did. The confession didn't stop me seeing things, but how and what I was seeing changed completely. I was now only seeing faces when I closed my eyes before I was going to sleep. If that makes sense. These faces were not scary, but sort of sad. Anyway, I kept going back to confessions and as of today I am free of any visions, hearing people talk and having people talking to me. I hope this helps. The Catholic faith takes these thing very very seriously. They will help you. If you do go down this path out of desperation like I did, do not receive communion without a good confession. It is considered a VERY VERY serious sin and your already in a lot of trouble.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!
|