Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

Scrotal sac abnormalities

Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...
User Profile
Hi

I have noticed that my scrotum is saggy and the balls are quite small maybe they were like this but i do not think they were. sometimes my scrotum is normal, however i am just wondering if it is normal or if i should see a doctor.

Thank you

Inexperience

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2009
Testicles Answer A7999
The scrotal sac contains a muscle(Dartos Muscle) underneath skin and it contracts and relaxes. Usually it contracts when the temperature is low, then giving a smallish and wrinkled appearance to the scrotal sac. When the ambient temperature is high or raised, the muscle relaxes giving a soggy appearance to the scrotum. This is a normal physiological response. The dartos muscle acts hand in hand with another muscle called the Cremaster. If there is no obvious swelling or change in the shape, there is no reason to worry.

This contraction and relaxation of the scrotal muscle is a natural physiological mechanism to keep the temperature under control, which is necessary for proper functioning and production of sperms.

If you still feel that there is an abnormality, please make an appointment with your GP and seek his opinion after a physical examination. Hope this clears your doubt. Thank You.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Testicles , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.