Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

screaming and scared in sleep

Hello, i would like to ask for opinions, guesses and if possible good advice on this matter, and i thank you for your attention.

I was in the computer playing games when i hear my mom screaming while she slept, but it sounded like she had a pillow on her face so the sound was muffled, i go there and wake her up, she is really scared, terrified, and says : i thought it was you who was here,
basically she explained that she feels this weird feeling all over her body, and can't move
she also mentioned that one time she had a pillow on her face and she claimed that someone or something was trying to cut her breath, she can't "speak" she says because it sounds really weak( again she says: she realizes its weak whisper like if she is unable to scream for help ) yet she cries and talks and i can hear her well enough to get to her , she says she can't move but im not really sure she can't because i have to "open" her fetal position because she is so tense, rigid muscles and stuff, im guessing she is actually making strain on the muscles or something because she is scared. i've ruled out sleep paralysis because obviously she can talk.
I'm sorry i can't povide more solid information, but hearing my mom cry whil she sleeps a hole bunch of times doesnt make me take an obvervatory stance for a moment while she sounds like she is being murdered or something. Would you please tell me what you think and how to possibly fix this.

My mother says she won't go to a doctor, im going to be honest here, she problably thinks its some evil spirit, and althought i dont disrespect such things i am afraid she is just suffering from a sleep disorder derived from stress, of which she has plenty, how to convince her to go to a doctor would be a nice answer to this.

To finalize, this has been happening for quite a while she says, i suspect a few years, my mother is 46 years old.
Thank you again.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Does she go back to deep sleep without ever having fully awakened?
Does she generally remember her dream and some of the events in the dream leading up to her awakening or she recall a sense of profound fear, but, not the episode?
Has your mother experienced such an episode during daytime naps?
Is she often sleep deprivated?
|

answers
She wakes up completely,usually watches tv or takes some sleeping pills.
She remembers the episode, and feels it strongly, its a very vivid experience to her, she tells me she is not sleeping but is partially paralised and has some weird sensations, she also claimed in one of these episodes that someone had her pillow on her face and was pushing hard so she would die. Then she said some words and it stopped. She said " go to hell".
So as you can see there are a lot of details she remembers.

My mother's words and opinions on these dreams or episodes or whatever they are, are oriented to the aspect of spirituality and i say again i don't really believe it is a spirit. I do believe she needed so show some control in a certain degree and these words are supost to mean you can order one of these beings back to where they came from. in other words, they mean authority. But im just theorizing on this one.

no episodes on daytime naps
She is the most sleep deprivated person i've ever known. So yes.
|

Experienced User
I don't think you should rule out sleep paralysis just because she can talk I can't, but I would not say that some one else could not do it themselves.

I personally think sleep deprivation causes sleep paralysis, I think she needs to get more sleep otherwise what ever is going on will just happen more often.
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
sneakya!
I agree with NightStar that you shouldn't rule out sleep paralysis.
This "event" of temporary paralysis, usually is accompanied with brief and vivid imagery or hallucinations.
Visual imagery is very common and can be very terrifying. Typically, occurs with the eyes closed though it can occur with eyes open.
The person may think that someone is standing beside them or they may hear strange sounds.
Feeling a weight on one's chest, as if being underneath a person or heavy object.
This can be dreamlike, possibly causing the person to think that they are still dreaming.
The sleep paralysis episode usually lasts from a few seconds to a few minutes although a duration as long as 70 minutes has been reported.
The experience may end due to efforts to overcome it by the experient, may be terminated by someone else either by touch or verbally, the experience may move into a dream or the episode may simply terminate spontaneously.

Sleep deprivation and irregular sleep pattern are the main reasons for having sleep paralysis experiences.
Having sleep paralysis at least once a week for 6 months, requires medical treatment.

Best wishes!
|

Experienced User
I went for medical treatment, the doctor had me take an EEG at the hospital, and I had an episode in the middle of the test. But the results still came back normal, I was stunned. The doctor never went further with it after that. I eventually grew out of it, I get 7 / 8 hours of sleep every night. My medication insures that. I take Geodone for Bipolar so it knocks me out at night.

I never had to go back to the doctor for this problem, since it just stopped about 5 years back.
|

Ok thank you all for your replies.
I will make sure to help fix this issue.
|

replied December 8th, 2012
sleep talking
hi..my dad is 49 years old.. he often yells and screams in his sleep once in 15-20 days without his knowledge..unless someone wakes him by touch, he wont stop screamin..left without waking, he will continue screaming loudly.. when asked the reason out of him.. he says that he Feels a weight on his neck and chest, as if being underneath a person or heavy object.
what might b the reason behind this.. any medical treatments to b undergone??
kindly reply ASAP..
|