Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Scratching has become an addiction

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Hello, everyone.
I am nervous about writing this, but I guess I have nothing to fear. I know that my case is not serious, but I am still worried about my actions and the future. I am 21 and have only been inflicting harm upon myself for about 1 1/2 years. However, I have always liked pain. As a child, sometimes I would bite my hand for fun or stick pins under my skin once in a while. More recently, I have been picking at hair on my face or using a tweezers to pull out hair on my stomach or face. I just realized that it is actually a painful action. A couple of years ago, I would sometimes slap my arms or use a scissors to scrape my arms (doing no damage). Then later, I did actually cut my ankles badly three days in a row, but I was able to stop. I still continued to sometimes do minor harm. Then several months later, I cut a couple of more times. I was able to stop that again, but I still am hurting myself now. I started scratching my arm and sometimes, biting or hitting/slapping it. Currently, I use keys to scratch my arm, but I try not to do it badly enough to bleed. There is my history. Originally when I started, it was to feel something or to release tension from anxieties or anger, but now that is not the case. I feel like I am addicted. All I want to do is scratch myself. I love seeing the marks on my arm (I just scratch my left arm for some reason). I have begun to not only do it every day, but I do it whenever I have the chance. I am really scared. I know that I am not in any real danger right now, but I know that this is not good, and I know that I shouldn't be doing it. I had gone through some hard times during the last several years, but now I am doing fine psychologically and am very happy. I really am doing well. However, I am just so used to the feeling and love it so much, that I can't let it go, even if I don't really need it. I am working on stopping. I'm sorry this is so long, but I thought maybe someone could help me or at least tell me something about this feeling of needing to do it without any real motive. I do have a couple of confidants, and I will get connected with a counselor as soon as I can. Thank you all very much. I wish you all well. God bless you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2008
I think yea you should speak with a consuler but most of all just try to do other things with your time, when you have the urge or find yourself grabing the keys well start head out the door and go driving to the grocery to shop, visit a friend and spend the night and TELL THEM how your feeling and what you were about to do ask for there support MAKE SURE that they are supportive may be some of the confidants that you were talking about earlier
|
Users who thank PestimisticAngel for this post: Besatine 

replied June 11th, 2012
Scratching
I have the same problem, I will even go as far as twisting my arm
And punching myself in the jaw, eyes, head. Talking to a couselor did
Not help. Ever since my grandpa died in Dec, it's gotten worse. My best friend
Doesn't even know about it. I started when my teacher sexually assaulted me
At the age of 9. I've taken depression pill, Lexapro but it made me feel like
I was lower than I am. I just don't know what to do. Everyone asks if I'm ok
And I tell them yes but really I feel like a piece of scum and not worth anything to
Anyone. I've secluded myself from my family. Help me
|

replied October 13th, 2012
I have the same problem I scratch myself until I peel off the skin and then I won't let it heal and they get infected but when you first scratch it doesn't hurt but it hurts afterwards for a while which is great I enjoy it but with just cutting it only hurts for a few minutes and I like seeing the scars on my arm can anyone help me Sad
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2013
I have the same problem, it seems I scratch my legs without even being aware of it anymore. And since I am a girl, it does not look cute at all. I hate seeing the marks this leaves. I have a cutting history, but I have worked my way out of it slowly, just to have it replaced by scratching. I don't even remember when it started.
What I have been doing lately is spending a lot of time with my best friend. Whenever she sees me scratching my leg (she knows of my problem and helps me out with over coming it) she pops my hand. She keeps this up however many times it takes, and hits harder every time. Maybe getting support from close friends or family would help you out.
|

replied May 22nd, 2013
I kind of do the same as you do. Ik scratch my entire back. Only have I bin doing it for just a week now. I scratch until it is almost bleeding and then I will stop. I love how it burns just before I go to bed, but the day after I have to regret it for the whole day because I'm in a dance collage and I can't dance very well because of the pain. I've tried to hide it for my classmates but they noticed it very soon because I always dance with shirts with an open back and I don't do that anymore. Has anyone got advice how I can cover the wounds up?
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2013
I do it too, I take a key I have in my bag, then when I was stressed, depressed or angry I would scratch it and it leaves marks and it gets bad. It's glad to know I am not alone and this has became an addiction to me as well as when I have very bad moods.
|